The Marvel World

• Administrator

So.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past decade or so, you probably know all about Marvel Comics.

There's also a chance you've probably noticed the large amount of Marvel movies hitting our cinema screens over the years (and there's heaps more to come as well). Popular Marvel movies include - The Avengers, X-Men, Antman etc. @TJMike @Ace of Spies

So. Marvel people.

What do you think of the movies?

Which ones did you enjoy? 

Which ones did you least enjoy?

Who are your favourite Marvel superheroes? 

On 11/17/2021 at 9:10 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

What do you think of the movies?

Which ones did you enjoy? 

Which ones did you least enjoy?

Who are your favourite Marvel superheroes? 

The movies are fantastic and fun. Marvel is knocking it out of the park with their movies and doing it well. They’re even making good shows too. It’s their time. I’m sure DC will get their mojo back but Marvel kept it for a good bit. 

I pretty much love all the marvel movies to some extent. They’re all leading to something, they’re introducing us to people we’ll grow with and adore. But to call out some faves, Captain America Winter Soldier, Black Widow, and I guess the first Avengers. I tend to prefer small scale end of the world stuff rather than the big epic stuff. 

Least favourite: probably antman and the wasp, Thor Ragnarok and probably just the Thor movies in general. I’m not a fan of that universe. But I love some of the characters in other things. Darcy for instance is brilliant. 

Favourite Marvel Superheroes: Captain America (both), Natasha, Clint, Ironman, Spider-Man and I’m probably forgetting someone major. Oh Wanda! I love Wanda. She’s amazing. Also, I quite liked Shang-Chi but he’s gotta get more time before I make a decision on where he stands  in my list. I also very much liked Yelena too, but again, gotta see where she goes. 

• Board Moderator

I like the majority of them, but they've become so much their own thing now that it's entirely removed from the comics. It's an adaptation, and there's a reason they've become as successful as they have.

My favorites: Avengers: Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War were both so amazing when they came out that it's honestly hard to rank them. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and Black Panther are my absolute favorites. Those three are absolutely incredible. I honestly believe they're the best of the best from the MCU.

The next tier down I'd have Captain America: Civil War, The Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: Ragnarok which are almost all either classics for MCU fans at this point or ones that are just really, really great/fun. 

After that is where I'd have ones are that good, but not great. I'd enjoy watching these movies whenever they're on and wouldn't have a bad time doing so, but they aren't on that next elite level, although Black Widow is close for me. The others in this tier would be Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Iron Man 3.

Then we have the ones that are just "alright". I still enjoy watching them, but I don't really think they're anything special. Captain America: The First Avenger and Ant-Man and the Wasp are at the top of this one, followed by Doctor Strange and Thor: The Dark World.

Below that are the ones I just don't find much enjoyment in, but I can still watch them. Thor, Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk make up this one. I'll never have like a bad time watching these but at this point there's just much better out there.

I guess that makes Captain Marvel my least favorite. I don't hate it, to be honest, but I find almost zero enjoyment in it, and it left me extremely disappointed the first time I watched it, although that may have to do with it coming out between Infinity War and Endgame, where the hype was at an all-time high and I was really, really looking forward to it.

I've seen both Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals recently, and I'm not quite sure where I'd rank them just yet but where they stand for me now, they're both right there at the top. Absolutely phenomenal. Two of the best experiences I've ever had seeing a movie, back to back.

• Administrator

@Zadien 

Yeah, the movies are a joy to watch. Predictable, perhaps, but such a good cast, flashy visuals, epic soundtracks, and a good combination of humour and action. Though, I felt the last Avengers movie went on too long with some boring stuff thrown in to drag it out. Agree with the Thor movies. I don't mind the characters in the movies outside the Thor main movies oddly. 

@Ace of Spies

I haven't seen Ten Rings yet, but I hear it's heaps of fun with cool martial arts. I recently saw the Eternals which I thought was reasonably enjoyable. I kept thinking OMG it is Robb Stark and Jon Snow. Infinity War is my favourite of the Avengers though the first one is great too. 

Has anyone watched the tv shows?

It'll be interesting to see if the X-Men ever get remade under Marvel Studios. 

Speaking of Marvel stuff.... Here's the next major one coming out. I think we are MCU Phase 4 now? Happy to see Dr. Strange. He's my favourite coz I like wizards, hah.

11 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Has anyone watched the tv shows?

I’ve watched the live action ones and enjoyed both WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Soldier. Wanda deserved someone to give her some time to mourn so it was a very very good watch. Loki… I really didn’t enjoy it. Owen Wilson was great. I gave zero shits about the rest. It was a chore to watch. But I’m very much looking forward to Hawkeye tonight! I love Hawkeye and it’s Christmas based which is gonna make me it a bit more fun hopefully. 

I have not watched WhatIf yet. I’ll get to it. 

and then there’s the original xmen cartoon coming soon too.

Though I do find myself struggling with the big ensemble cast movies because they just have too many egos vying for attention on screen. Hoping the new phase of marvel avengers won’t be like that. I’d like to see an actual team of people who’re like family working together because these people have faced some major trauma together. 

• Board Moderator

I've seen Wandavision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, and What If...? and so the first one I probably won't watch is Hawkeye.

Wandavision was excellent. 10/10 in my books. I love how it explores grief and I think it was probably the most needed out of any of these new shows. I was never a big fan of the Elizabeth Olsen casting and although I've enjoyed the MCU Scarlet Witch, I've known that she is FAR from the Scarlet Witch I love from the comics. 

Wandavision fixed both of those for me. Elizabeth Olsen fuckin killed it, she was absolutely excellent and I've gone from enjoying MCU Scarlet Witch from a distance to absolutely loving the character and very curious and excited to see what she does next. 

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Loki were both actually really good watches for me. I wasn't thrilled about Loki getting his own show when I first heard about it. I like Loki and all but my god is he so overrated and there's only so much I can listen to from annoying as fuck fangirls before I start to just hate the subject in question. But I actually really enjoyed Loki. The end of the first episode pretty much got rid of any of the qualms I had going into it. The cinematography was excellent and the soundtrack was awesome. The show was whacky and crazy and absolutely all over the place and it was a really good time. Falcon and Winter Soldier I had a lot of hype going in for and I don't know if it met what I was hoping for but it was still very entertaining. It felt very real, and I enjoy how much it did for world-building the world after Avengers 4, and how much set-up it did for later projects.

What if...? started out random and super weird and it was clear they didn't really give a shit and wanted to have fun, which I can respect. It ended up being a pretty fun time. Honestly as close to a Marvel Anime as I think we're ever gonna see, for better or worse.

I don't give two shits about Hawkeye. He's fine. I like seeing him in things. I thought I'd be excited for this but as soon as I saw the trailer I was just... I don't know. My enthusiasm is gone. I can't stand Christmas movies or TV shows to begin with, like I get the point of them but they have zero appeal for me. The plot also looks uninteresting to me and I never liked Kate Bishop in the comics to begin with, and even if I did I think Haylee Steinfeld is a pretty shitty cast for her. Then again, I've done a complete 180 on Elizabeth Olsen, so if I do end up watching this they are more than capable of winning me over. Jeremy No-Powers is a fantastic actor and I always enjoy him when he's on screen, but... I don't know. This one just feels like it's gonna be a miss.

Who knows though, I'm known to enjoy things more often than not, so we'll see.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:32 PM, Ace of Spies said:

I've seen Wandavision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, and What If...? and so the first one I probably won't watch is Hawkeye.

Wandavision was excellent. 10/10 in my books. I love how it explores grief and I think it was probably the most needed out of any of these new shows. I was never a big fan of the Elizabeth Olsen casting and although I've enjoyed the MCU Scarlet Witch, I've known that she is FAR from the Scarlet Witch I love from the comics. 

Wandavision fixed both of those for me. Elizabeth Olsen fuckin killed it, she was absolutely excellent and I've gone from enjoying MCU Scarlet Witch from a distance to absolutely loving the character and very curious and excited to see what she does next. 

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Loki were both actually really good watches for me. I wasn't thrilled about Loki getting his own show when I first heard about it. I like Loki and all but my god is he so overrated and there's only so much I can listen to from annoying as fuck fangirls before I start to just hate the subject in question. But I actually really enjoyed Loki. The end of the first episode pretty much got rid of any of the qualms I had going into it. The cinematography was excellent and the soundtrack was awesome. The show was whacky and crazy and absolutely all over the place and it was a really good time. Falcon and Winter Soldier I had a lot of hype going in for and I don't know if it met what I was hoping for but it was still very entertaining. It felt very real, and I enjoy how much it did for world-building the world after Avengers 4, and how much set-up it did for later projects.

What if...? started out random and super weird and it was clear they didn't really give a shit and wanted to have fun, which I can respect. It ended up being a pretty fun time. Honestly as close to a Marvel Anime as I think we're ever gonna see, for better or worse.

I don't give two shits about Hawkeye. He's fine. I like seeing him in things. I thought I'd be excited for this but as soon as I saw the trailer I was just... I don't know. My enthusiasm is gone. I can't stand Christmas movies or TV shows to begin with, like I get the point of them but they have zero appeal for me. The plot also looks uninteresting to me and I never liked Kate Bishop in the comics to begin with, and even if I did I think Haylee Steinfeld is a pretty shitty cast for her. Then again, I've done a complete 180 on Elizabeth Olsen, so if I do end up watching this they are more than capable of winning me over. Jeremy No-Powers is a fantastic actor and I always enjoy him when he's on screen, but... I don't know. This one just feels like it's gonna be a miss.

Who knows though, I'm known to enjoy things more often than not, so we'll see.

I agree. Loki is excellent and worth it.  I had my reservations about it too but it was a very enjoyable watch. Highly recommended even if you didn't like the Thor movies.

What are some other Marvel characters you hope get added to the movies?