Forum 2022

• Administrator

Since we are now nearing the final quarter of the year, I thought it would be a good time to start taking feedback for next year so I can plan well in advance.

This year has obviously been a bit of a lackluster one due to many of us being quite busy, but I'm hoping I'll be able to be more active next year. Obviously, I'm hoping we can improve our activity on the board next year with more interaction and marketing. We do need to keep reaching out to people and making people feel welcome so people stay. I've noticed we have gotten a bit slack on the birthday wishes and welcoming new members, so I think that's something we can improve on for next year.

I should hopefully have a full time job next year which means I can better support the forum with more features (if all goes well).

So... I need to know:

• What has worked well this year? [think about what threads were popular, what parts of the board were active, what discussions you enjoyed most]
  • What has not worked well this year? [what parts of the board could be better organized, what parts of the board were not necessary etc]
  • What features would you like to see for 2022? [list any feature you would like to see - I can't promise it can all happen, but I'll try - trivia, watch a movie streaming sessions, forum clan tournament, improved roles of members, etc]
  • What sort of theme would you prefer? [light theme, dark theme etc]

I'm also still waiting on app feedback. I don't know if it's happening yet. I haven't gotten a response. But fingers crossed it will someday happen.

We are also upgrading to 4.6 next year so the board will, as always, be closed for at least 24 hours whilst all these changes are made.

If you have forgotten --- I would like to remind everyone about the ebook challenge for 2021. Unlike previous years, this one will NOT be Christmas-themed. So, you can write anything you want so long as it's under 3000 words.

Do reply here - your thoughts are much appreciated and will help us grow.

@Community Leader  @Board Moderator  @Discord Moderator  @Platinum Member  @Gold Member @Silver Member  @Bronze Member

13 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:
  • What has worked well this year?
  • What features would you like to see for 2022?

Answering both of the above:

I really enjoyed the mini-review events. I think once a fortnight might have been too much for some people and may have been a little overwhelming, but I'd love to do something like that again sometime. Maybe just not as frequent (once a month, once every couple months, or no specified frequency, just a few times per year). It was also  a nice way to get the word out about this site while offering the other person something meaningful to them, which helped me not feel like a salesperson trying to sell something.

Spoiler

Sales and marketing are just really hard for me to do, personality-wise. I would starve to death before I could succeed in a marketing career.

• Board Moderator

I'm not sure what could help, besides maybe hosting more community events, maybe something strangers could also participate?

We could make use of our accounts to maybe get people interested, even our own personal ones, I'd do it.

Other than that I can only add that the theme if it should change it should be in dark mode, I believe little to no one besides my mother still uses light mode on any site.

• Community Leader

Things that worked great:

- discord integration within the forum is great for people who are on mobile most of the time, give real time updates to whats posted

- ebook challenge is always great

A few things to think about: 

Forum related: 

- community engagements - more community events to encourage participation, incentives for participation

- weekly catch-ups/scheduled or themed evenings i.e writers hour, reviewers hour held every thursday or friday, 

- tie ins with nanowrimo, camp nano etc for events, themed nano (for example a friend is running a nano month for a particular fandom, we could do that for poekmon etc). 

Discord related: 

- anime streaming, we keep saying we're going to do it, lets do it =) 

- book club!

- specific writing channels on the discord - a separate channel for sharing work (link this with the forum), requesting reviews, possible incorporation of a bot for writing prompts etc? 

- creators hour instead of writers hour - track time spent on projects and points, award # of points for participation in each creators hour, 

Adding from our discussion: 

- House points system - i.e. points for contributing to creators hour, points for submitting reviews for fanfics etc, monthly reviews event - points for participation, then points based on how many reviews you write

- quarterly newletter - member spotlight, fanart sections (one submission per member), fanfic (people could submit a 300 word snippet from a single piece and then link to the rest) - all submissions go to house points system. If you interview for a member spotlight you can get house points etc 

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't been on very often this year but the new layout was a bit confusing

make things a little less confusing. i don't see the purpose of character development and character study

have a featured members work for the week and why their work should be read - you want to make people feel welcome

do mini writing comps on different themes. a lot of ideas have been started but nothing has actually happened (genre writing challenge)

you had a collaborative fanfiction account at one point. start this up again. different authors  can team up can write short story collaborations on different fandoms

• Administrator

All good suggestions so far!

On 9/22/2021 at 7:30 AM, Nubushi said:

Answering both of the above:

I really enjoyed the mini-review events. I think once a fortnight might have been too much for some people and may have been a little overwhelming, but I'd love to do something like that again sometime. Maybe just not as frequent (once a month, once every couple months, or no specified frequency, just a few times per year). It was also  a nice way to get the word out about this site while offering the other person something meaningful to them, which helped me not feel like a salesperson trying to sell something.

Reveal hidden contents

The mini-reviews event did go quite well, especially in the first few events. I think for next year we'll do it at the end of each month (as suggested).

Agree on the saleperson thing too, and there is always the risk of making someone angry.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:14 PM, Sakura Alexia said:

I'm not sure what could help, besides maybe hosting more community events, maybe something strangers could also participate?

We could make use of our accounts to maybe get people interested, even our own personal ones, I'd do it.

Other than that I can only add that the theme if it should change it should be in dark mode, I believe little to no one besides my mother still uses light mode on any site.

Community events is definintely the main one we gotta push.

And yup, dark mode is here to stay.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:39 PM, darkened-storm said:

Things that worked great:

- discord integration within the forum is great for people who are on mobile most of the time, give real time updates to whats posted

- ebook challenge is always great

A few things to think about: 

Forum related: 

- community engagements - more community events to encourage participation, incentives for participation

- weekly catch-ups/scheduled or themed evenings i.e writers hour, reviewers hour held every thursday or friday, 

- tie ins with nanowrimo, camp nano etc for events, themed nano (for example a friend is running a nano month for a particular fandom, we could do that for poekmon etc). 

Discord related: 

- anime streaming, we keep saying we're going to do it, lets do it =) 

- book club!

- specific writing channels on the discord - a separate channel for sharing work (link this with the forum), requesting reviews, possible incorporation of a bot for writing prompts etc? 

- creators hour instead of writers hour - track time spent on projects and points, award # of points for participation in each creators hour, 

Adding from our discussion: 

- House points system - i.e. points for contributing to creators hour, points for submitting reviews for fanfics etc, monthly reviews event - points for participation, then points based on how many reviews you write

- quarterly newletter - member spotlight, fanart sections (one submission per member), fanfic (people could submit a 300 word snippet from a single piece and then link to the rest) - all submissions go to house points system. If you interview for a member spotlight you can get house points etc 

Good points.

I'll need to align a few more things on Discord with the forum itself. The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is drawing too much attention away from the forum itself if we give Discord all the attention (especially since most members aren't even on Discord nor want to be on Discord). What we do on Discord needs to be on the forum too so no one is left out.

I liked the writer's hour idea though it would probably be a Discord only thing unless we just have a forum challenge where people at a specifc time of the week write for an hour and just submit at the end of the week (considering timezones and all). Could turn it into a guessing game too - who wrote what? what is it about? etc

Book club could be interesting.

House points is a good idea. Do we make our own houses up?

Newsletter is a good one too.

21 minutes ago, BurningAngel said:

i haven't been on very often this year but the new layout was a bit confusing

make things a little less confusing. i don't see the purpose of character development and character study

have a featured members work for the week and why their work should be read - you want to make people feel welcome

do mini writing comps on different themes. a lot of ideas have been started but nothing has actually happened (genre writing challenge)

you had a collaborative fanfiction account at one point. start this up again. different authors  can team up can write short story collaborations on different fandoms

Agreed about the current format. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but has proven to not be so good.

Collaboration acocunt would be good as well as the featured author/artist.

• 3 weeks later...

maybe we could have themed photography threads instead of individual photo threads? like pets, holidays, nature and you could have photography competitions

less confusing layout and some topics are too similar. better clarity. i think older forum layouts were better because they were more simple

better use of clubs. they're not used for anything at the moment. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Noted!

For the writing and art section...

What sort of topics do you want to see? I do want to try and have more helpful writing/art threads instead of the more 'spur of the moment/casual' topics.

So... We do have an OC Development thread. What other threads do you think would be worthwhile having? 

Alo, what parts of the forum do you think are unecessary? What do you think is necessary? Definintely aiming for more user friendliness and more member engagement.

@Community Leader @Board Moderator @Discord Moderator @Platinum Member @Gold Member @Silver Member @Bronze Member

• 2 weeks later...

I second what's already been said. Right now, it feels too specific. Topics about character study are not relevant and do more harm than good discussion wise.

More engaging topics that aren't so specific to people who write and do art. It's hard to get involved in discussions when I feel I have nothing to contribute. I think it would be good to get insight from people who don't write too.

Better community events that are also inclusive of non-creative folk.