Jump to content

What option sounds best?


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

So, I'm currently working on a fantasy story (late ancient/early medieval) and I'm trying to work out a character arc for one character.

SCENARIO - A and B have been taken 'prisoner' for a group of patrolling soldiers. B gets injured (broken leg) and they have no resources on them to help him. They are out in the middle of nowhere and they're a long way from getting to somewhere safe.

I have two options to progress:

OPTION 1

B survives the journey but his life will never be the same. He'll be a cripple now. He's kinda angry at A who survived the ordeal without any problems. This would set up for a lot of angst/jealousy issues as the story progresses as B and A are from the same village trying to complete the same quest to bring honour to their clan but ultimately would lead to B and A putting aside their differences and working together.

OPTION 2

B does not survive the journey and this heavily impacts A because he feels he was partially to blame for this. Now he's truly alone on a foreign place and has no support from anyone, and must grow as a person and adapt to a new environment. 

-

I can finish the story with either option, but I'm having difficulty working out which one would have the most impact on a reader.

What do you think? What would be more interesting for you to read?

Link to post

Really it comes down to what fall out you'd prefer to write. Do you want B to stay alive or do you want B dead and then you can focus on A living with the guilt? It's a really hard one to say because it's not about what affects the reader, it's about what you want to write and what is best for your story.

Link to post
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Zadien said:

Really it comes down to what fall out you'd prefer to write. Do you want B to stay alive or do you want B dead and then you can focus on A living with the guilt? It's a really hard one to say because it's not about what affects the reader, it's about what you want to write and what is best for your story.

That's the hard part. Both options have a lot of material I can work with. It's easier for me to kill off B since that's one less character I have to worry about, but there's more room for drama for Option.

Ugh. Not an easy choice. 

Link to post
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Zadien said:

It also comes down to the character arc - who grows the most from this? Who benefits the most and what has the most pay off for your story?

Character A grows the most. He''s actually the main character (I wrote the wrong thing in Discord) for this particular sub plot.

B was always intended to be a supporting character. Whether he lives or dies does not change the ending of the story (might affect A's character's motives though and change his world views).

Link to post
1 minute ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Character A grows the most. He''s actually the main character (I wrote the wrong thing in Discord) for this particular sub plot.

B was always intended to be a supporting character. Whether he lives or dies does not change the ending of the story (might affect A's character's motives though and change his world views).

So what do you want your character A to do? Where do they start and where do you want them to end? And what helps them get there? Yes, killing character B off is probably easier, but is it the right thing to do for the story? Will it help character A grow the way you want them to? Will it push the plot forward to where you need it to go? Or will having them alive and bitter create issues that will change the outcome for character B to send them back to where they started?

Link to post
  • Administrator
Just now, Zadien said:

So what do you want your character A to do? Where do they start and where do you want them to end? And what helps them get there? Yes, killing character B off is probably easier, but is it the right thing to do for the story? Will it help character A grow the way you want them to? Will it push the plot forward to where you need it to go? Or will having them alive and bitter create issues that will change the outcome for character B to send them back to where they started?

A and B have both been given a task to retrieve a powerful relic that belonged to their ancestors.

B is a little jealous of A because A is the favourite. Making B survive would mean that he's got even more reason to be pissed at A - A is healthy, A is still the favourite, while B is a cripple and that makes it much harder for him to achieve the same goal.

With the death option, A is left alone. He's got no support. No familiar faces. I feel that if I kill B off, it gives me room to not make A's story centered around B if that makes any sense. Like I think it gives him more room to grow because he won't be held back.

Link to post

I think leaving him alive lets character B grow and get over his issues and also gives A a chance to get put himself first through his own actions because at some point you have to make that choice for yourself. Deal with the toxic person or leave. Having that stone around your neck, it's not fun and there's nothing A has done to warrant the feelings B has, whereas if B dies, he's almost martyred and there's no growth for him even as a side character. And A, well he just grows and gets away from B because he literally has no other choice. It's removed. Deus Ex Machina.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...