Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

• Administrator

Thought I'd make a thread for these games since they were pretty popular.

I actually found Platinum hard in places, and Cyrus was tough for me to beat though that was my fault because of my team composition.

Oddly, I found Cynthia to be really easy even though many say she was tough.

I also heard a rumour that there would be remakes coming to Switch this year.... Watch this space.

@Sakura Alexia @Sakura @Nubushi @Nocturna @Lightningblade49 @onewiththewheels @Hikari @SpiritChannelerJosh

@AquilaTempestas
Pokémon platinum was one of my favorite games, both for the story, available Pokémon, a lot of the quality of life changes it got, The world itself and how it looked, and the difficulty (or at least difficulty as far as Pokémon games go). If the player doesn’t know what specific team to bring and doesn’t wish to overlevel and thus overpower opponents, battles can get quite difficult (Cynthia being the biggest offender, although Cyrus and some of the gym leaders also fall into this). Diamond and pearl can stay far away, however, because they really needed a touchup, and it’s a shame they didn’t have that originally.

Thankfully platinum fixed a lot of issues, but I’m afraid the remakes will be based off of them instead of platinum (like when ORAS was almost strictly based off of Ruby and sapphire, when it really should’ve been based off of emerald). Granted, no remake has ever been based off of the third version game as opposed to its first two. The Johto remakes had a lot of Crystal worked in and then New ones added, but were not exclusively based off of Crystal. Pokémon let’s go was exclusively based off of Pokémon yellow, but has so many changes it can be considered its own product. I consider it a reimaging rather than a remake, for that reason. In the case of the other generations, the original games were solid by themselves, but The third versions added a nice touch. Platinum had so many changes from diamond and pearl that I feel like which game the remake is based on could make or break it.

i’m also wondering what the state of Pokémon remakes are in general. Obviously, it’s important to be able to bring the older games to a new audience, but has a lot of games that are made very quickly. Developers would either have to consistently make the same game over and over, leave a game in the dust and make its contents inaccessible. Well things like the virtual Console are always an option, i’m not sure how much longer systems would have that...

i’m also going to copy some thoughts when some others and I were discussing what we would want for the remakes on the Reddit thread. It sums up how I feel at the moment:

”Contests need to be reworked entirely. I loved contests in generation three, and they got even better in remakes. But in generation four they just plain sucked and I never touched them. I hated the touchscreen for the Poffins and the strict time limits for the dressing portion. So I would love to see that redone. Also, please do something with Arceus. It really annoyed me that its item was never released, especially since it activates a secret event in the very next game. Since players can’t do glitches illegitimately accessing the areas without modification, there’s no reason not to have something, even if it’s an event release. Also expand on Cyrus’s and Cynthia’s backstory. The former has a very interesting backstory, but it’s locked behind an extra conversation that hardly anyone will ever see, and the latter has almost no backstory but is long overdue for one. I would love to see a proper battle frontier including rental teams, but that most likely won’t happen. Which is a shame, because I consider generation four’s battle frontier to be one of the best.

Overall, avoid ORAS’s problems. By that I mean that there were some areas that were fantastic (The aforementioned contests being one, the post game story, expanding on the characters, Mauville Hills, redone safari zone, Mirage island being accessible to everyone without having to go through anything crazy, Pokémon from older generations not in Dex being available before you beat the game and with plenty of content left, the Dexnav) but some areas felt either dumbed down or rushed (lack of a battle frontier, removal of the abandoned ship, granite cave and New Mauville being a straight shot, not really properly compensating for fairy types or Pokémon having better moves even in the later game, using the teams from Ruby and Sapphire instead of emerald). And there were so many areas in the latter and not enough in the former category that it really drags the game down. Which is a shame because it just felt like there was a glimmer of something more that could’ve been, but there just wasn’t enough Time or resources to implement it.”

Edited by onewiththewheels
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Would be great if true

@onewiththewheels Yeah. ORAS remakes were a bit of a letdown. I feel like they could've done something more and expanded upon it.

I just hope Cyrus gets a manga like ending where he finds his redemption. I want him to have a happy ending :(

Come on GameFreak. You can do something about it. Why does Stardew Valley, a game about farming, have deeper backstories for their NPCs and it is a game made by one person?

• 3 weeks later...

I think the remake looks pretty cute, I'm pretty excited with Pearl having been my first Pokemon game. But I'll choose Diamond over Pearl because I prefer Dialga. 

Hoping there's some Platinum content like the expanded dex and Giratina having a part in the story, we know fuck all about this so far. Porygon Z appeared in the trailer but with no context (trainer battles, etc) that's not any proof of improvements. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Nocturna said:

I think the remake looks pretty cute, I'm pretty excited with Pearl having been my first Pokemon game. But I'll choose Diamond over Pearl because I prefer Dialga. 

Hoping there's some Platinum content like the expanded dex and Giratina having a part in the story, we know fuck all about this so far. Porygon Z appeared in the trailer but with no context (trainer battles, etc) that's not any proof of improvements. 

I suspect Giratina will.

The Ruby and Sapphire remakes had Emerald content so I expect the same here. I fear they will gut Cyrus though :( 

Please, give him a redemption arc. Don't just leave him in the Dimension World.

I hope it's challenging.

Hmm I just looked at Twitter and apparently people have noticed a few of the changes from Platinum in the game. 

There's a girl in Platinum that gives you the Gracidea flower in Floaroma and she's present in the trailer. Also Oreburgh city's coal belts resemble Platinum's. But there's less snow, the starter event is Diamond's, and Jublife has Diamond's design. 

So it could be a blend of Diamond and Platinum? Hope that includes upgraded dex. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Nocturna said:

Hmm I just looked at Twitter and apparently people have noticed a few of the changes from Platinum in the game. 

There's a girl in Platinum that gives you the Gracidea flower in Floaroma and she's present in the trailer. Also Oreburgh city's coal belts resemble Platinum's. But there's less snow, the starter event is Diamond's, and Jublife has Diamond's design. 

So it could be a blend of Diamond and Platinum? Hope that includes upgraded dex. 

Yeah, Platinum should be included. It would be dumb of them not too.

Though I could imagine them doing a DLC with Platinum stuff for more money.

• AquilaTempestas changed the title to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, Nocturna said:

Hmmm...

They're using mega evolutions to promote the Sinnoh remakes. This might mean something good

I'm not surprised to see those two mentioned considering how popular they are.

I hope the games are tougher. I'd love an easy and hard mode.

Forgot to ask this before but @onewiththewheels You mentioned reworking the contests. What would you change?

@AquilaTempestas

aside from reworking the contests, there’s a couple things that I would do. One is to rework the annoying part is, like let’s go Pikachu and Eevee did with things like Silph Co. and where to find Flash. The biggest part would be Maylene and Candice’s Gyms. Even after playing generation four games many times, I still have to use a guide because I always get lost. It’s extremely annoying, when I can get through other puzzles with minimal issues.

I would also rework the Great Marsh. It was really annoying to use, and there wasn’t too much that was worth going for anyway. Since all safari zones have been reworked In every remake aside from fire red and leaf green, there’s a chance of this happening. I’m also glad the game corner is getting removed, because it was really useless in the original games. Everything could be found in other places, and there wasn’t really any reason to use it. Granted, with the game going to be in the way it was, I feel like they were on their way out anyway without the rating issues they encountered.

I want them to do something with Arceus and the azure flute. That was such a cool event, but because of the glitches making event only Pokémon possible when they should not have been (including Arceus), it was unreleased. Since these glitches will ideally no longer exist in a switch version, I feel like they could still do something with it. Someone thought they saw Shaymin’s Garden in a trailer, so they may be going for this.

there’s a chance the battle tower may be carried over from sword and shield, but if it isn’t, keep the rental system there. One of my favorite things about the tower was that I could just jump in as long as I knew that another person had a competitive team, and with the Internet that was very easy. So I’d love to be able to do that again.

do something about the random difficulty spikes. I’m thinking mainly Mars in the valley windworks, Roark having headbutt and a Pokémon that’s faster than just about everything at that point when the player doesn’t have anything even close to being that strong, Ace Trainers throwing TMs and well-balanced teams around randomly, the Cyrus fights, and the final battle on the spear pillar. I’m not saying tone down or remove those aspects. But they can be frustrating, without any foreshadowing,

I also want them to fix up the elite four rematches if they decide to do that. Platinum’s were kind of a letdown with the only difference being higher level teams. The gym leader and other important trainer rematches were great though. 

i’d love to see more backstory on Cynthia and Cyrus. They’re both interesting characters, but we don’t learn too much about them. So I’d like to see more about them. Learning about the gym leaders and even about the elite four would be cool as well, as long as they weren’t out of character like with some of what ORAS did (E.g. with Roxanne acting spoiled when she never does and any other media).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator
On 3/1/2021 at 5:36 AM, onewiththewheels said:

@AquilaTempestas

aside from reworking the contests, there’s a couple things that I would do. One is to rework the annoying part is, like let’s go Pikachu and Eevee did with things like Silph Co. and where to find Flash. The biggest part would be Maylene and Candice’s Gyms. Even after playing generation four games many times, I still have to use a guide because I always get lost. It’s extremely annoying, when I can get through other puzzles with minimal issues.

I would also rework the Great Marsh. It was really annoying to use, and there wasn’t too much that was worth going for anyway. Since all safari zones have been reworked In every remake aside from fire red and leaf green, there’s a chance of this happening. I’m also glad the game corner is getting removed, because it was really useless in the original games. Everything could be found in other places, and there wasn’t really any reason to use it. Granted, with the game going to be in the way it was, I feel like they were on their way out anyway without the rating issues they encountered.

I want them to do something with Arceus and the azure flute. That was such a cool event, but because of the glitches making event only Pokémon possible when they should not have been (including Arceus), it was unreleased. Since these glitches will ideally no longer exist in a switch version, I feel like they could still do something with it. Someone thought they saw Shaymin’s Garden in a trailer, so they may be going for this.

there’s a chance the battle tower may be carried over from sword and shield, but if it isn’t, keep the rental system there. One of my favorite things about the tower was that I could just jump in as long as I knew that another person had a competitive team, and with the Internet that was very easy. So I’d love to be able to do that again.

do something about the random difficulty spikes. I’m thinking mainly Mars in the valley windworks, Roark having headbutt and a Pokémon that’s faster than just about everything at that point when the player doesn’t have anything even close to being that strong, Ace Trainers throwing TMs and well-balanced teams around randomly, the Cyrus fights, and the final battle on the spear pillar. I’m not saying tone down or remove those aspects. But they can be frustrating, without any foreshadowing,

I also want them to fix up the elite four rematches if they decide to do that. Platinum’s were kind of a letdown with the only difference being higher level teams. The gym leader and other important trainer rematches were great though. 

i’d love to see more backstory on Cynthia and Cyrus. They’re both interesting characters, but we don’t learn too much about them. So I’d like to see more about them. Learning about the gym leaders and even about the elite four would be cool as well, as long as they weren’t out of character like with some of what ORAS did (E.g. with Roxanne acting spoiled when she never does and any other media).

I actually thought I had replied to this. Apparently not. Oops.

But yeah, I agree with your points especially the Great Marsh. I didn't like it, so I didn't bother with it back in the day. Hope they make it more enjoyable.

I hope they have a difficulty system at the beginning of the game. Like a hard mode for veterans and a normal mode for people looking for a casual run.

Cyrus was a tough fight for me because all my pokemon were weak to his type heh. I found Platinum's League Challenge really easy. Cynthia was easy too. Hope they make it harder.

I hope they make Cyrus a more interesting character and give him the redemption arc he had in the manga. So awesome instead of being a one dimensional power hungry hate everyone villain.

Blegh.

• Board Moderator

Surprised I haven't replied to this yet.

But I do agree with the whole Great Marsh debate, while it was cool I didn't like the whole mechanic of getting stuck in the mud every few seconds.

About the style well its cute but I expected the remakes to be the style of the current generation, bbut since they aren't primarly done by game freak this is what we'll get, i'm sure I'll still have fun with the game and also its an excuse to finally get a switch.

For the difficulty I have no idea but I do hope at least it mirrors the difficulty of platinum and not diamond and pearl. Honestly some things weren't the easiest on that game, even if Cynthia was supposed to be hard she wasn't that much, but again we were probably adults and who says that were probably kids, she's only had without a balanced team I found out from doing nuzlockes, do try and be stuck with her and have mostly fire types one you heh.

We're getting a Pokemon Presents in 2 days, hopefully we'll get new information then :) I'm looking forward to the games but haven't preordered because whilst I will get them (as my ds keeps breaking) I'm not sure if I'd get them day one without new content.

Even if it's adding Platinum content and Sylveon, along with some random other Pokemon. I just want them compatible with Home, with Sylveon, so I could maybe do an Eeveelution run. 

(yes I know there were 7 Eeveelutions by gen 4 but my ideal Eevee team is Umbreon Jolteon Sylveon Leafeon and Glaceon with any of the other three depending on what type I really need to kill) 

@AquilaTempestas@Nocturna@Sakura Alexia

well, the Pokémon direct happened yesterday and there were some new information. There is some information on legend of Arceus as well. There’s trailers for both, but I don’t have the links here.

Spoiler

The latest news for Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl has been released during the Pokémon Presents. We're currently compiling all details so keep checking back
Trainer Customisation returns in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
Seals also return
The Sinnoh Underground has Pokémon Hideaways, which feature various Pokémon, with the Pokémon changing based on your Secret Base There will be a Nintendo Switch Lite to tie in with Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl on November 5th

Get a Manaphy Egg in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl through Mystery Gift until Feb 21st 2021 

-following Pokémon return in some capacity

-Super contest have been revamped

-there’s no word yet whether any of platinum updates will be there. However, people have noticed that there is no snow in Twinleaf, and the snow was part of platinum’s updates.

And my thoughts...

Spoiler

I’m really on the fence about getting in this game. Well upgrades like Pokémon following you, contest in the underground been around are nice, I am also looking for whether platinum‘s upgrades return, and there’s been no word on that yet. There’s also the issue of how faithful it is, and whether more modern features like wonder trade are there. But my main issue is that if it is a very faithful remake, then there’s not much I need from this game. I have every single Pokémon stored in Pokémon home, and I played through the originals many times. I even have the ability to modify them or speed it up thanks to emulation. So they would have to be some quality of life improvements or something really changed in order for me to go get it. For the record, I did get ORAS, and I did Love the quality of life updates and enjoy it, but I also concluded that Emerald what is the better game, and if it wasn’t for the modern features being added and the fact that it was difficult for me to play a role at the time, I might’ve not gotten it. I am a bit more split on let’s go versus fire red and leaf green, but it’s because they could be considered two completely different games with all the changes. But there’s a chance legends of Arceus, The other Pokémon game coming out, could be connected to this one and needed to transfer. If that’s The case, I am headed to Facebook marketplace, buying the cheapest copy I can there, playing through it just to transfer things, and selling it back. There’s a couple of Challenge runs I have in platinum that are unfinished, so if I don’t do this game I might do those instead. Luckily, I don’t have any money for games until Christmas, so that’s plenty of time to learn about everything this one has to offer and to make my decision.

For legends of Arceus, because this thread is more active and then people don’t have to go running around looking for info:

Spoiler

The latest news for Pokémon Legends: Arceus has been released during the Pokémon Presents. We're currently compiling all details so keep checking back
New forms of Growlithe, Braviary have been shown for Pokémon Legends Arceus
The team is the Galaxy Team with a variety of members and divisions, led by Proessor Laventon, with help from Cyllene and run by Commander Kamado, the ancestor of Professor Rowan. Akari and Rei are the player characters. The one you don't choose also joins the team
You have to go out on Survey Missions to hunt for various Pokémon. You can craft items when you leave. The player character receives damage from Pokémon attacks and can cause them to black out while on a survey mission
The Pokémon battles are changing with different styles and an Action Order: Strong Style and Agile Style
The Pokémon akin to Stantler is called Wyrdeer, the evolved form of Stantler and the fish is Basculegion, the evolved form of Basculin. There are also Hisuian Form Pokémon such as Growlithe and Braviary
Support for Pokémon Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl and Legends Arceus on Pokémon HOME will come in 2022
Ranked Battles will not appear in Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl or Legends Arceus
A Hisuian Growlithe based outfit is to be given to players of Pokémon Legends Arceus via Mystery Gift until May 9th 2022
If you purchase Pokémon Legends: Arceus on the Nintendo eShop before May 9th 2022, you will receive a Serial Code for 30 Heavy Balls 
Wyrdeer is a Normal/Psychic-type Pokémon
Basculegion is a Water/Ghost Pokémon
Hisuian Braviary is a Psychic/Flying Pokémon
Hisuian Growlithe is a Fire/Rock Pokémon

Edited by onewiththewheels

I'm fucking excited for both the games at this point lol

The trailer for BDSP showed major improvements and I really want to run around the whole of Sinnoh (which my phone keeps trying to all-caps) with my Turtwig/Torterra and Starly/Staraptor. I'm hoping they'll keep the leaf and ice stone evolution methods for Eevee so if Eevee is available earlier, I don't have to wait until the 7th gym to use Glaceon. 

The underground area looks bloody awesome and I wanna explore and complete the dex because it might actually be feasible lol

Dex Cuts suck but it's less overwhelming to complete the dexes now at least eh? 

I dunno, I'm feeling nostalgic as hell. 

• Community Leader

I am really really excited for this, actually! I played Diamond a long while ago, and somehow it’s the Pokémon game that I had the most hours in? I was planning on restarting it since I had transferred most of my good Pokémon to Black and White, and the only good Pokémon I had left was Empoleon, my starter lol. And Giratina I guess too, but yeah I even transferred Dialga away

It’s been so long since I’ve played Diamond, so this is a perfect opportunity! Plus, it looks amazing, I love that Pokémon following you is coming back for this game, and the graphics have been so improved since the last time they showed this game off! The Underground also looks really cool and fun, even better than the original, and this whole game just seems really enjoyable ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 8/20/2021 at 12:04 AM, onewiththewheels said:

@AquilaTempestas@Nocturna@Sakura Alexia

well, the Pokémon direct happened yesterday and there were some new information. There is some information on legend of Arceus as well. There’s trailers for both, but I don’t have the links here.

Reveal hidden contents

And my thoughts...

Hide contents

I’m really on the fence about getting in this game. Well upgrades like Pokémon following you, contest in the underground been around are nice, I am also looking for whether platinum‘s upgrades return, and there’s been no word on that yet. There’s also the issue of how faithful it is, and whether more modern features like wonder trade are there. But my main issue is that if it is a very faithful remake, then there’s not much I need from this game. I have every single Pokémon stored in Pokémon home, and I played through the originals many times. I even have the ability to modify them or speed it up thanks to emulation. So they would have to be some quality of life improvements or something really changed in order for me to go get it. For the record, I did get ORAS, and I did Love the quality of life updates and enjoy it, but I also concluded that Emerald what is the better game, and if it wasn’t for the modern features being added and the fact that it was difficult for me to play a role at the time, I might’ve not gotten it. I am a bit more split on let’s go versus fire red and leaf green, but it’s because they could be considered two completely different games with all the changes. But there’s a chance legends of Arceus, The other Pokémon game coming out, could be connected to this one and needed to transfer. If that’s The case, I am headed to Facebook marketplace, buying the cheapest copy I can there, playing through it just to transfer things, and selling it back. There’s a couple of Challenge runs I have in platinum that are unfinished, so if I don’t do this game I might do those instead. Luckily, I don’t have any money for games until Christmas, so that’s plenty of time to learn about everything this one has to offer and to make my decision.

For legends of Arceus, because this thread is more active and then people don’t have to go running around looking for info:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if the Giratania storyline will get tagged onto the end. I think they added the Emerald stuff to ORAS. I'm hoping for some entirely new stuff too as a surprise.