Romance in Beyblade [Beyblade]

• Administrator

This one is for all the Beyblade fans who want to focus more on the idea of romance within Beyblade.

I am ignoring the manga for this discussion because quite a few of the anime cast do not exist in the manga.

Anyways! Beyblade is obviously not a romantic anime. There are no true established pairings in the anime itself, but as writers, it's fun to explore character relationships. I know other people in the past have argued that you can't pair up characters that have had no interaction (this is bullshit I think) in the canon verse, but this is easy to argue against.

Some discussion points!

• The whole debate about Kai/Hilary vs Tyson/Hilary is a major one that has been happening for a long time now. What side of the fence do you sit on? 
  • Which pairings do you see most potential in?
  • What interactions would you like to have seen more of and why?
  • What are some rare pairings you like and why?

• 2 weeks later...

That’s the great part about fan fiction though. Anyone can meet.

So I’ve always leaned more towards Tyson/Hilary. I just feel like they are what each other needs. 

So I am a Max fan so I love Max/Mariam...

I could  also see Julia with either Tala or Kai for sure...

A rare pairing I love is Bryan/Mariah... I’m not sure when this one came about in my head, maybe from a fanfic... but I can totally see a tough guy like Bryan falling for a curvy girl like Mariah :) I did a role play with a friend and it was fun having Mariah resent Bryan for how badly he hurt Ray in their beybattle is season 1, yet how Bryan couldn’t keep his horny eyes off of her.. haha. 
I’ve actually written these two together. I have a another pen name on ff.net Zutsu and I have a story(a Kai/Rei centered fic) called Keep it Strictly Ballroom. This story is unfinished... but the point is I love lots of characters and pairings and one of the pairings is Bryan/Mariah... they so cute together IMO... (even though this fic is unfinished it’s one of my favorites that I have written if you want to check it out) 

Sadly there is a lack of female characters in the show, so this calls for either OC’s or guy/guy pairings... ;P 

• Administrator
13 hours ago, MinijAkane said:

That’s the great part about fan fiction though. Anyone can meet.

So I’ve always leaned more towards Tyson/Hilary. I just feel like they are what each other needs. 

So I am a Max fan so I love Max/Mariam...

I could  also see Julia with either Tala or Kai for sure...

A rare pairing I love is Bryan/Mariah... I’m not sure when this one came about in my head, maybe from a fanfic... but I can totally see a tough guy like Bryan falling for a curvy girl like Mariah :) I did a role play with a friend and it was fun having Mariah resent Bryan for how badly he hurt Ray in their beybattle is season 1, yet how Bryan couldn’t keep his horny eyes off of her.. haha. 
I’ve actually written these two together. I have a another pen name on ff.net Zutsu and I have a story(a Kai/Rei centered fic) called Keep it Strictly Ballroom. This story is unfinished... but the point is I love lots of characters and pairings and one of the pairings is Bryan/Mariah... they so cute together IMO... (even though this fic is unfinished it’s one of my favorites that I have written if you want to check it out) 

Sadly there is a lack of female characters in the show, so this calls for either OC’s or guy/guy pairings... ;P 

Yeah, that's the beauty of fanfiction. Writing anything to your heart's content so long as it's believable.

I'm one of the rare few people who despises Max/Mariam haha. My heart's set on Johnny/Mariam. 

Tala/Julia is okay. Kai/Julia is all right too. But I see a lot of potential with Robert hahaah.

Bryan/Mariah is fun. I'm more into Bryan/Ming Ming.

• 1 month later...

there are no canon pairings in the anime but showing kindness to another character is a good starting point to write fanfic about them

this is why there are plenty of kai/hil ones around - there is more to work with. i think it would be harder for kai to express how he feels about someone.

that's why i like kai/hil the most.

Honestly, I'm glad there's no romance in Beyblade because it gives writers and fan creators a lot more freedom to explore different romantic interests and dynamics. The key thing I want to see in pairings is the characters still being recognisable and not massively warped to fit the romance.

Personally, I'll always be a sucker for the Tyson/Hilary romance. I just love how they tend to gravitate to each other and yes they bicker, but they're also very young in the show and probably don't even really understand their emotions. But I go with them being older and writing the friends to lovers trope for them.

Rei and Mariah would be a different version of that dynamic, with Mariah trying to move on from her childhood crush, but Rei finally seeing her as something more and them finding their place together.

I love Enrique and Julia and I think I'm the only person who does, but Julia's got this flare for performing and having fun and Enrique would allow her to do that, and she could keep him grounded. It would be more a clash of ideals initially and then finding common ground, helping each other grow as people.

Bryan and Mariam is my favourite of my non-canon couples because there's so much potential there for two people who have a deep loyalty to their teams and in my head, both of them turn away from what they've known all their lives to make a life together.

But like with any pairing in Beyblade, because there's no canon evidence (maybe for Rei/Mariah) you can say who you ship but it might not make sense to others. Most things sound odd on paper, but when you explore the relationship through a medium like a story or a comic or pieces of art, they start to make sense.

I ship my pairings because of how my stories have worked out, and it doesn't matter what others write, my pairings will not change. I also have an OC I work with that I pair with Kai and honestly, no other pairing compares, because I wrote her for those stories and my version of Kai works with her. Especially because of her personality, she doesn't require Kai to tone down his attitude in any way, she'll take it and it'll roll off her, or she'll dish it back. 

Oh! I forgot my other two ships, Max/Rick because that's flipping adorable, and I love the idea of Rick and Mariah bonding over the fact that both guys they like are totally oblivious and are they being friendly or flirting, who can tell?? And Oliver/Raul is another pairing I play with.

I think those are my pairings for Beyblade, but really they're my pairings for my fanfics and I don't expect to find others who ship them.

• 1 month later...
  • Community Leader

The good thing about Beyblade is that there is the scope to write a lot of tropes - Hilary/Tyson - friends to lovers, Mariah/Ray as the childhood crush, Max/Mariam as enemies to lovers... so much potential.

I love the idea of EnriquexJulia. I personally think it works well and its logistically workable, they're both based in Europe. I don't necessarily like TalaxJulia, I just don't think Tala would have time for her drama. 

What's interesting is the number of potential pairings - it's not a series that leads into any pairings and with such a diverse cast you can really make any sort of pairing work =)