Reviewers Event

• Administrator

I've been thinking of doing a mini event every month where the goal is to drop no more than 10 reviews over a selected weekend. 

5 reviews for fellow members and 5 reviews for people outside the forum (for recruitment hopefully).

I think I'd host the event on the last weekend of each month - that'll give everyone heaps of time to nominate a story they would like a review for. I know it'll be tough for reading something that is outside your fandom, but there are things you can focus on like grammar if you're unfamiliar. I think it's a way of reading outside your comfort zone (myself included)

We could compile a list, and you drop a review for a story that hasn't received a review yet (if every story has gotten a review then you could put down another - there will be a tally kept).

As for leaving reviews for people outside the forum, the goal is to eventually try and recruit them here too. We could compile a list of outsiders as well, but I think that is best left anonymous and not shared publicy.

Thoughts?

@Board Moderator  @Community Leader  @Gold Member @Platinum Member  @Discord Moderator   @Silver Member  @Bronze Member

It might work out. Not only will we get to see what aspects we need to improve, but we can also bring in some new faces, new ideas, new...anything. As long as we make sure we give the new kids a probationary period, because sometimes the folks we bring in...will turn out to be total assholes in the first few days

I think it's a great idea!

It's always great to see events/games that encourage reviewing, and having board members name stories they would like to get reviews on would help reviewers focus on the stories on which people really want feedback (I know sometimes people write something off-the-cuff and aren't really looking for feedback, or aren't that interested in feedback on old stories).

One question I have is whether there would be a minimum number of reviews required to participate? (I wouldn't be able to commit to writing 10 reviews over a weekend.)

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Nubushi said:

I think it's a great idea!

It's always great to see events/games that encourage reviewing, and having board members name stories they would like to get reviews on would help reviewers focus on the stories on which people really want feedback (I know sometimes people write something off-the-cuff and aren't really looking for feedback, or aren't that interested in feedback on old stories).

One question I have is whether there would be a minimum number of reviews required to participate? (I wouldn't be able to commit to writing 10 reviews over a weekend.)

I would a minimum of 5 and preferably for fellow board members.

The other 5 reviews is simply more for recruitment purposes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Reviewers weekend is on (the 13th-14th of February). This is round one.

For future events, you'll be able to add the event to your calendar (simply download event and google how to add ICS file to Google calendar) 

You can find nominated stories here > 

Remember, 2 reviews for any of the listed stories, and one review for an outsider member to try and lure them here.

Once you have reviewed, please reply here to this thread so I can cross them off.

If you still haven't nominated a story, please do so before the 14th.

@Board Moderator  @Discord Moderator  @Platinum Member  @Gold Member @Community Leader  @Silver Member  @Bronze Member

• Administrator

So, the first reviewers weekend has passed and needless to say, the turnout and participation was really disappointing.

I understand it was of short notice, and it was the first event, so I'll let it slide - but hopefully the next one will be much improved, and I'll post an event much earlier.

Just a few things for future references:

• You may nominate the same story for the next event
  • It's a bit unfair to have a story of yours reviewed if you don't give one back in return - by that I mean, some people did nominate a story, but they never reviewed anything themselves
  • Please only leave reviews over the designated weekend otherwise it kinda defeats the purpose of the event
  • When you leave a review, please list in the STORIES REVIEWED THREAD
  • If you don't nominate your own story to be reviewed, you can still join in the reviewing event (and people can review your work in return outside the event dates)
  • Please only link to FFN or Archive - this is much easier since they do allow guest reviews, and the sites are easy to navigate

Big thanks to Nubushi and Nocturna for taking part and leaving reviews.

Hopefully, we can get a bigger turn out next time, and try and support each other when it's pretty hard to get reviews from strangers.

So the next date will be on the 27th-28th of February. You may nominate your stories now.

@Board Moderator  @Discord Moderator  @Community Leader  @Platinum Member  @Gold Member @Silver Member  @Bronze Member

Uh question!

I'm all for reviewing other's stories, I have no issues with that. On the other hand, I haven't really done much work writing stories myself, but would it be possible for me to nominate external stories? As in, stories written by non-TAZ authors?

It could be a way of promoting the forum if we sing the review with something like "Review made by The Artist's Zone community"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 2/16/2021 at 1:37 AM, TJMike said:

Uh question!

I'm all for reviewing other's stories, I have no issues with that. On the other hand, I haven't really done much work writing stories myself, but would it be possible for me to nominate external stories? As in, stories written by non-TAZ authors?

It could be a way of promoting the forum if we sing the review with something like "Review made by The Artist's Zone community"

We review one story outside the forum as a means of promotion. You can choose whatever. Just be sure to write it down in the STORIES REVIEWED THREAD.

The other two must be Tazlander ones since our main purpose is to support each other.

And yeah - that makes sense with the signing of the review. That'll make more people notice (hopefully)