What's your writing process?

4 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Do you have a set of steps that you follow?

Or do you just write whatever comes to mind and see what happens?

Do you write everything down on paper then type up on a computer?

Do you plan everything out in advance or just wing it?

What's your writing process like?

Yeah, I've some steps to follow. At first, I just write down the plot (Typing on computer). I don't write immediately whatever comes to my mind. I think everything cool-headedly, the arrangement and assortments of the characters (And I have some hilarious memories lmao). I just keep writing directly on a document and whenever I see that the number of the words is going high (4k-5k), I somehow put a full-stop at that (usually in the form of a cliffhanger) and complete a chapter. The events of the next chapter are usually plotted in my brain but they can be changed too whenever I sit to type that out. 

I never liked to write continuously. I usually take a break after typing a certain number of words (Like walking around or a water break). Music helps me a lot while writing and re-reading the chapter/document. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

Do you have a set of steps that you follow?

Or do you just write whatever comes to mind and see what happens?

Do you write everything down on paper then type up on a computer?

Do you plan everything out in advance or just wing it?

What's your writing process like?

1. Not a standard one where I follow it every time.  It has a lot to do with when and how inspiration hits me.  But when I am sitting down trying to write for an assignment I have given myself then most often I do.   

2 Since I write scenes I usually write what comes to mind.  Which is normally the just the dialogue or the how the setting affects the story. Then I go back and flush out the rest of it.  Unless I am working on a writing technique. 

3. Yes and no.   I used to do both because what I wrote on paper was really the first draft of what I was doing. But often I would get lazy and not want to do it.  Now word has a dictation tool  so I actually hand write more and then dictate to word. 

4. Again it depends on the story, but to be honest I am more of a wing it. The writing tends to be more creative when I do. I can always go in and tone it down or edit it back if it is too much. But it is harder to edit in  verses out.

6.   If it is an exercise/assignment (challenge) I will do a bit of research on the topic so I can get a feel for what I want to accomplish.  The Monthly Genre is a good example. Push myself to write genre's I normally would not. And then I add another requirement for myself something like a word count or have to use x plot device.  For example the romance genre I want to do a fic using the top ten romance tropes.   Once I choose the requirements I look for a fandom or original fic that fits.   If inspiration doesn't doesn't come I have hundreds of prompts I have been collecting over the years. I iny-miny-mine them. Then I write. Until I cant write (need sleep or work). Come back and edit ... reread several times. And leave it for a day or two.  Reread it and either write more or say it is done. This can be done lots per scene or story.

3 hours ago, BurningAngel said:

i do not have a list of steps to follow. i write what comes to mind.

Do you keep a folder of stuff that comes to mind.... like a plot bunny folder? Or do you finish all of your ideas?

I never have a process as I don't follow rules. A lot of my ideas stem from random conversations, the media, something that happened to me or someone I know, or simply manifests from dreams. The latter was more prominent back in my FFN haydays but now, not so much. Then I just write. No bullet point, no brainstorm, nothing. I try to recreate the raw feelings I initially sensed and hopefully, put them onto paper.

• Administrator
On 2/12/2021 at 6:07 PM, Nirianne said:

I never have a process as I don't follow rules. A lot of my ideas stem from random conversations, the media, something that happened to me or someone I know, or simply manifests from dreams. The latter was more prominent back in my FFN haydays but now, not so much. Then I just write. No bullet point, no brainstorm, nothing. I try to recreate the raw feelings I initially sensed and hopefully, put them onto paper.

Oh I remember those random conversations we had about dear Waldo...

I'm still developing a writing process lol. I actually used to just write whatever that came to mind back when I uploaded on FFN, but lately I tend to overthink stuff :D

Currently, I have this tendency to know the initial state of the characters and setting, then picture the final state of both by the end of the arc. And after deciding on that, I get to work on the middle lol.

With the planning done, then I get to sit down and write the crap out of every chapter.