Jump to content

Beyblade Fanfiction


Recommended Posts

These are the set of advices which I have for myself:

  • Write more stuffs of what you like. Its not necessary that you'll have to stick only to canon and don't hesitate to create your own sequel for Beyblade.
  • Feel free to seek for/reject ideas/prompts.
  • Don't let any author to take control over you (such as in writing for their favorite choices)
  • Just ignore guest readers who pester you to write for what they like.
  • Don't start too many long shots in a chunk. 
  • Accept constructive criticism.
  • Respect others' choices.
  • Need not hesitate to write for underrated characters, underrated pairings or recurring characters if you like them. They are really cool to try. 
  • Don't pester any reader to read any work of yours. Just reminding them about your fic update for once is more than enough.
  • Its not necessary that you should write for the most popular characters.
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

This can be applicable for any fandom. These are some of my tips and I myself learnt some of them.

  • Your work necessarily need not have any famous characters, just do what you like.
  • Its not necessary to write beybattles.
  • Beyblade A.U. fics aren't bad according to my opinion.
  • Just take your own time to write, proof-read and publish. Don't hurry up for readers' sake because ensure that you have privilege over your works, not the readers.
  • Need not strictly go by your plans because they are more likely to change. Say if you are planning to update a fic on the particular day. Sometimes you may not because of your slow typing.
  • Don't take character bashing close to your heart(if its for your favorite character), just ignore readers who do that.
  • If you are really willing to write for V-Force guys, don't hesitate to write for them though they are underrated. You are free to do whatever you like.
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing about canon is that no one can write the character perfectly in character - none of us are the creator. We don't have the same experiences or the knowledge the creator has. And we, as people, see different elements in characters that we relate to more than others. So the way I might write a character will be completely different to how another person might write them. But we'll both think we're writing them in character. I might focus on their protective vibe that was shown in one season while another writer might focus on their defensive attitude. But we're both writing canon versions of that character.

I think the main thing is to keep the core personality of the character. The character needs to be recognisable. So take Tyson for example, he's pretty upbeat, likes food, believes in friendship and supporting his friends but he's also been shown to be stubborn and arrogant and hot headed. So you can keep several of those personalities types in your thoughts while writing him, but if you say took his arrogance to the extreme and made him suddenly decide to destroy everyone's blade? Well that wouldn't in character for him.

Also, I find it helpful to look at little actions that they do in the show, such as Tyson rubbing his nose when he has an 'aw shucks' moment or how Max tends to be quite physically affectionate and has a fondness for mayo/mustard.

Take into consideration their families and backgrounds, what kind of person did they create? Tyson's probably got a lot of issues with people walking away from him. His mother died, his father's always away on digs and his brother just upped and left. His grandfather is the only person who stuck around but his grandpa is also old, so naturally Tyson got annoyed when everyone left him in G-Rev. He became quite irrational and rude. It wasn't normal for him but looking at his background, it made sense. If you can justify why a character is acting a certain way by showing their family life, background, reasoning etc, people will accept it.

Listening to the dialogue of the show also helps when writing dialogue if you can hear their voice in your head while writing.

Most of the time people are pretty forgiving when it comes to keeping characters in canon. The issues arise when it's clearly a case of a writer taking a character and completely warping them to make that canon character a self insert. I saw that a lot in another fandom, where they took the super sweet character and made her a more sarcastic, hot tempered, sassy girl, simply because the writer loved that character's looks but did not like that characters personality. So they rewrote the character to mirror them. In that case, choose another character or write a self insert.

Link to post
  • Administrator

Agreed with Zadien.

If you are really concerned about it why not see how other people view that character first? Read other stories (preferably the early Beyblade stories) then see if your version matches up.

You could also take down some key words about that character. Just remember though. People change in real life. People react differently to situations.  People usually mature and become wiser (there are exceptions naturally but in most cases people evolve). It just needs to be believable to your story's rules and world.

Link to post
  • 1 month later...
  • Community Leader
On 11/3/2020 at 9:50 PM, Zadien said:

Kai is not going to fall in love with your OP character just because she’s immediately defeated him in battle. That’s not how Kai works. There isn’t going to be heart eyes or wow, she’s awesome because Kai hates losing. He’s an angry boy who will immediately suspect something is amiss or get really butthurt. Can you then use that to create intrigue where he then falls for your character? Yes. Absolutely. But instant love via beyblade battle will not work for him. 

Kai has pretty much not had any time for any of the girls in the beyblade anime, he basically ignores Mariah and Emily, doesn't really interact with Mariam? Of course, I think over time he develops a respect for Hilary, and her contributions to the team. But I think that if Kai comes across a girl that defeats him in battle he is going to DESPISE her until he can beat her. I think a character that either has nothing to do with beyblade has a potential to be more of a love interest, something that you don't see writers consider enough. (Zadien, please disregard because you do EXACTLY what I'm talking about in Saving). 

What I see too much, is writers looking to create an OC that is on par with Kai, or can beat him. Realistically, Kai is one of the TOP beybladers, so that's not going to be easy to create, or to make plausible in the story. I feel that he might show more interest in a character who is more than capable of holding her own if she is a beyblader, but I feel that if she had too much of a competitive nature they'd actually clash rather than get along. Being the best is one of the most important things to Kai, and any particular love interest is going to have to understand that she is going to come second fiddle to that (for a time at least - these are teenagers we are writing, they have a lot of growing to do). 

I try to keep this in mine with my YA high school fic - they are teenagers that are coming of age, and some might not necessarily continue on to become professional beybladers. Tyson maybe, but I kinda feel at some point Kai's going to retire and go work and grandpa's company like is hinted at in the manga 

Link to post
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, darkened-storm said:

Kai has pretty much not had any time for any of the girls in the beyblade anime, he basically ignores Mariah and Emily, doesn't really interact with Mariam? Of course, I think over time he develops a respect for Hilary, and her contributions to the team. But I think that if Kai comes across a girl that defeats him in battle he is going to DESPISE her until he can beat her. I think a character that either has nothing to do with beyblade has a potential to be more of a love interest, something that you don't see writers consider enough. (Zadien, please disregard because you do EXACTLY what I'm talking about in Saving). 

What I see too much, is writers looking to create an OC that is on par with Kai, or can beat him. Realistically, Kai is one of the TOP beybladers, so that's not going to be easy to create, or to make plausible in the story. I feel that he might show more interest in a character who is more than capable of holding her own if she is a beyblader, but I feel that if she had too much of a competitive nature they'd actually clash rather than get along. Being the best is one of the most important things to Kai, and any particular love interest is going to have to understand that she is going to come second fiddle to that (for a time at least - these are teenagers we are writing, they have a lot of growing to do). 

I try to keep this in mine with my YA high school fic - they are teenagers that are coming of age, and some might not necessarily continue on to become professional beybladers. Tyson maybe, but I kinda feel at some point Kai's going to retire and go work and grandpa's company like is hinted at in the manga 

I think Kai respects Hilary in 02 because of her determination and willing to work hard. But that was 02 Kai. 03 Kai is more like his 01 self and he only cares about Tyson.

The way I see it, I think the only female character Kai might have a fling with in Beyblade is Mariam, but even then I can't see it being something too serious.

I know people are free to interpret the characters any way they want, but I do have a bit of a problem with stories that make Kai into this sensitive, highly romantic sort of a character. Kai isn't going to start blushing. He's not going to be reciting romantic poetry and crying and such. Maybe in a parody world, but I just can't see him doing this.

Link to post
On 1/16/2021 at 12:33 AM, AquilaTempestas said:

Coming back to this...

I'm keen to know what you currently think of the state of Beyblade fanfiction, and how it differs to when you started.

 

Honestly, I don't think it does differ that much than when I started. When I started, a lot of the fandom was quite young, the stories were all much the same, there were different groups, certain pairings were more popular than others. If you read a fic by one author, you were probably going to get a variation of it by a friend of theirs because they bonded over tropes or favourite pairings so you just circled in that group and didn't really branch out. I was in the OC group, so that's what I read, and there were varying degrees of experience and writing ability in those stories. And I can see the same thing in the fandom right now as more people start to write beyblade or find beyblade for the first time.

The only difference now, as opposed to almost 20 years ago, is that there is an archive of stories from the past twenty years and there're older writers within the fandom who have been adding their own stories and experience. Which is nice. We didn't have that when we started out, I think the oldest ones might have been early twenties in my section of the fandom anyway. And because of that, there are some very very good, novel worthy fanfictions within the fandom now that weren't there back at the start because we were all sort of starting off the fandom together. There might have been maybe one or two considered amazing, but reading back through them now, it's clear to see we all had a lot to learn.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a big difference for me (around 2007-ish). Slash fiction was popular when I joined. ElementalGypsy was the big one and she wrote a lot of Kai/Miguel. Other well known names included Ladya C Maxine and LaDyFiCtIoN, other infamous slash writers.

The fandom was also more hateful around my time. Very anti-OC. Don't see that much anymore.

Link to post
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, SilveryMoonShadow said:

There's a big difference for me (around 2007-ish). Slash fiction was popular when I joined. ElementalGypsy was the big one and she wrote a lot of Kai/Miguel. Other well known names included Ladya C Maxine and LaDyFiCtIoN, other infamous slash writers.

The fandom was also more hateful around my time. Very anti-OC. Don't see that much anymore.

Oh yeah, I remember them. I think they were on the way out when I hit my peak (I joined 2006 but didn't really start making a name for myself until around 2010-2011).

And yeah, agree with the 'toxicity' of the fandom at that time. There were names like DefiantVixen who inspired a cult following and they found OCs to name and shame in their stories. The real nasty one was The Shattered Rose!

I also noticed a severe lack of humour/parody stories over the past few years. @chocolatexloverx16  and I were really the big two around that 2009-2011 period who flooded the fandom with these stories (mine are no longer up though in case you are looking for them). Since then, there hasn't been much parody material.

Link to post
5 hours ago, SilveryMoonShadow said:

There's a big difference for me (around 2007-ish). Slash fiction was popular when I joined. ElementalGypsy was the big one and she wrote a lot of Kai/Miguel. Other well known names included Ladya C Maxine and LaDyFiCtIoN, other infamous slash writers.

The fandom was also more hateful around my time. Very anti-OC. Don't see that much anymore.

I gotta say, I don’t miss those days at all. They were horrible and definitely where I learned to keep my head down in fandom and just not engage or draw attention to my Oc stuff. And I’m glad it’s passed though there’s still anti-OC sentiments and fandom will always have that lingering disdain to anything that certain people don’t feel meets their likes, but yeah beyblade fanfiction has changed a lot since that era, thank goodness. 

Link to post
  • 3 months later...

So what’s the consensus on covers for your fanfic? If you use fanart, do you get permission from the creator? Or do you commission a piece? Or do you just google and post? 
 

For the most part, mine are screenshots I took from the show I’m writing for, a free stock photo or a piece of fanart created for the fanfic which I was given permission to use. So I’m curious what everyone else does - or do you use covers? 
 

If you’re a fan artist as well, how do you feel about your fanart being used? 

Link to post
  • Administrator
37 minutes ago, Zadien said:

So what’s the consensus on covers for your fanfic? If you use fanart, do you get permission from the creator? Or do you commission a piece? Or do you just google and post? 
 

For the most part, mine are screenshots I took from the show I’m writing for, a free stock photo or a piece of fanart created for the fanfic which I was given permission to use. So I’m curious what everyone else does - or do you use covers? 
 

If you’re a fan artist as well, how do you feel about your fanart being used? 

I ask either @Sakura Alexia or @Nirianne to do mine, and they do great covers. I give them the ideas, and they put something together (I assume by using random images from Google that are free to use?)

Link to post
  • Board Moderator
2 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

I ask either @Sakura Alexia or @Nirianne to do mine, and they do great covers. I give them the ideas, and they put something together (I assume by using random images from Google that are free to use?)

Tbh using other people's pictures is always a bit of a risk, because you don't actually own them, I tend not to go looking for things other artists have drawn, usually photos do the trick, but again the creators might not agree.

I haven't run into trouble so far, its hard to tell that someone used a specific thing if you used parts of multiple pictures, besides many people do mashups with photos, and its usually the safest thing, if its a drawing always make sure the artist is okay with you using it though.

If I can help it I even draw what I need myself now.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been so long since I started reading Beyblade fanfic that I genuinely do not know what the first fic was. It was probably Kai/OC since that was big back then. And honestly the stories I started reading back in the early 00s are no longer around.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Oh, mine was Eyeliner and Mascara by BOE-E-ever. It was an Enrique/Oliver story and Robert/Johnny (ugh - were the villains)

I thought it was pretty funny at the time, though I really dislike the Robert/Johnny shipping. That's one I'll never understand.

But it was the story that got me into writing parody.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...