Ranked Joust

AquilaTempestas

• Administrator

So with the changes coming to ranked next year, I figure it would be a great time to start thinking about combinations and such.

If you aren't aware of the changes it's basically everyone starts at bronze level and there are no longer any qualifying matches to go through.

You also get more TP for a win which means if you win a few games in a row, you'll jump up faster.

Why play ranked? 75 wins gets you a limited god skin. 150 wins gets you a limited loading frame (which displays the highest rank you achieved but only if you got into platinum or higher).

Even if we play one ranked game a day and get a single win each day, we'll each get the loading frame by the end of the season (and the limited god skin).

If you are keen, we'll need to work on combos.

I almost made it into platinum this year, but stopped playing ranked joust. But I did notice a few things on my way up the ladder.

• Bronze and Silver > Just play Ah Puch, Anubis or Zeus. You'll get to gold pretty quick.
  • Bronze and Silver > Mage, Hunter and a Tank
  • Gold > We're looking more at combinations here. So Sobek, Awilix, He Bo type comps.
  • High Gold and up > Generally goes a hunter/mage and two tanks with a lot of CC (think Chaac with Kumbha and a Sol)

We have enough people for two rotating teams of ranked joust. Ranked conquest is sadly still solo queue at this point in time.

I can't play guardians or warriors in joust. But I can play a decent mage and a hunter. 

My Mage of choice > Ah Puch, Hades, Hera, Anubis, Discordia, Zeus, Poseidon and Kukulkan

My Hunter of choice > Hou Yi, Medusa, Artemis, Ullr (hahahah) and Xbalanque

Kumbha and Bacchus are the two top tank options. Getting both on your team is amazing.

@X_Dark_Paladin @Stubborn Saber @Sakura Alexia @Shizophrenia @I_StillAlive @Lil' Snow-Bunny

• Board Moderator

So joust huh? Well I can be a mage, hunter or guardian, I wouldn't risk with an assassin and I absolutely can't play a warrior there, tried a lot of times and failed every single one.

I think you can imagine who I can play but just in case:

Mages > Sol, Discordia, Hera, Nu Wa, Hel, Chang'e, Aphrodite (I imagine the healers are like permanently banned though)

Hunters > Skadi, Neith, Artemis, Izanami, Medusa (maybe?)

Guardians > Athena (the glorious days of season 4 lol), Artio, Terra

That's it, like I said I wouldn't go an assassin and pretty much the only one I can play here is Bastet as she's super safe, and I'm not putting Morrigan in the mages as she too plays like and assassin, though if needed she could be viable I guess.

I must admit, knowing that the next Ranked skin is for Guan Yu I am tempted to try out ranked again, not sure how I feel about ranked Joust though. Last I remember it was such a pain in the arse, then again, that's coming from a casual who never plays ranked. 

From memory the only god I could play half decent in ranked Joust, during season 4, was Hades. I think the gods I would play in this mode are my diamonds, examples being:

Warrior- Guan Yu, Sun Wukong, Bellona

Guardian- Ymir, Ganesha, Cerberus

Mage- Hades, The Morrigan, Hera (Potentially and when selectable)

Assassin- Loki, Fenrir, Ratatoskr, 

Hunter- Still needs some work yet.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Stubborn Saber said:

I must admit, knowing that the next Ranked skin is for Guan Yu I am tempted to try out ranked again, not sure how I feel about ranked Joust though. Last I remember it was such a pain in the arse, then again, that's coming from a casual who never plays ranked. 

From memory the only god I could play half decent in ranked Joust, during season 4, was Hades. I think the gods I would play in this mode are my diamonds, examples being:

Warrior- Guan Yu, Sun Wukong, Bellona

Guardian- Ymir, Ganesha, Cerberus

Mage- Hades, The Morrigan, Hera (Potentially and when selectable)

Assassin- Loki, Fenrir, Ratatoskr, 

Hunter- Still needs some work yet.

Unfortunately, you'll have to win 75 games of ranked joust now to get it. It's the limited skin for season 5 : (

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So season. I want to try and aim for platinum and get that 150 wins over the year so we can get a cool loading frame lol (and the ranked skin limited reward)

I can play mages and Kumbha. Kumbha is the only tank thus far that I can play effectively, but I think we need to look at heavy CC comps. Getting through bronze and silver is easy. Gold can be 50/50 but since we'll be going pre made we don't need to worry about stupid randoms. I did end up getting to Gold 1 (now in gold v because I stopped playing and dropped) with platinum matchmaking and here are my experiences. I know we can make it to platinum with some good strategy and comps.

• Getting through bronze is easy. Popular gods include Zeus, Ah Puch, Hades, Medusa, Anubis, Odin and Loki. Generally the comp goes hunter, mage and a tank.
  • Silver is still pretty easy to get through. A good one is the Odin/Zeus/Medusa or Hou Yi comp or anyone with Kumbha/Bacchus.
  • When you get to gold things start getting more difficult. This is when you start looking at heavy CC comps. Generally two tanks and a mage. Chaac does well at the lower levels of gold. Throw in a Sol and another annoying tank like Kumbha and you're good to go.
  • I can't say much about platinum since I didn't really go up against many platinum players, but I imagine it's heavy CC still and damage.

I think mage is my best role and Kumbha. I can't play warriors very well in Joust for whatever reason and the only assassin I can pull off is Loki. My mages are limited to Poseidon, Zeus, Ah Puch, Anubis, Hades, Discordia and Kuku. I haven't tried Hera though, but she's top pick/top ban. I'd rather not play hunters, but I could do AMC.

@Sakura Alexia @Stubborn Saber

• Board Moderator

Well you do know my picks, I feel more comfortable as a tank but mage and hunter are okay too, just no assassins or warriors, I don't think they'll work for me.

Guardians I can go Athena, Terra and Artio, hunters I can be Skadi, Neith, Izanami and Artemis, I would not include Medusa as for some reason I literally can't play her anymore, don't know why I just can't do that, but I can keep her viable if needed. And mages well Sol, Discordia, Nu Wa, though she probably isn't the best pick here, and I'd say Hera but like said previously she's always banned. 

I don't think any other ones could do for me, can't think at somone else viable atm. 

I'm good with mostly warriors, guardians and assassins. There is the odd mage I could use for this, like Hades and Hera, but yeah, I expect Hera to be banned most of the time, so in the end that doesn't even matter.

Warriors:

• Guan Yu
  • Erlang Shen
  • Sun Wukong
  • Chaac 
  • Bellona
  • Achilles
  • Hercules
  • King Arthur (Once he is available and if he doesn't get banned constantly)

Guardian:

• Ymir
  • Ganesha
  • Cerberus
  • Ares

Assassins:

• Loki (Will have to see how he performs in casuals after his nerf first)
  • The Morrigan
  • Ratatoskr 
  • Fenrir
  • Da Ji

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Stubborn Saber said:

I'm good with mostly warriors, guardians and assassins. There is the odd mage I could use for this, like Hades and Hera, but yeah, I expect Hera to be banned most of the time, so in the end that doesn't even matter.

Warriors:

• Guan Yu
  • Erlang Shen
  • Sun Wukong
  • Chaac 
  • Bellona
  • Achilles
  • Hercules
  • King Arthur (Once he is available and if he doesn't get banned constantly)

Guardian:

• Ymir
  • Ganesha
  • Cerberus
  • Ares

Assassins:

• Loki (Will have to see how he performs in casuals after his nerf first)
  • The Morrigan
  • Ratatoskr 
  • Fenrir
  • Da Ji

I think Loki will still one shot squishies with his combo. Might have a tougher time against tanks though.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

After our matches today, I think we are doing okay. @Sakura Alexia  @Stubborn Saber

Sakura just needs to not get tilted over a bad game. We will lose games. Everyone does. Even the grandmasters lose games. But we can't let a loss get to us. We will get wins. sometimes it pays to break away from the usual safe build and go for bruiser. Gotta build to win. Not build to be defensive. Going all defensive doesn't seem to work because then you can't defend if the squishies go down. Sometimes we just have to accept we will go up against better teams and that's perfectly fine. We can learn from our losses and see what we could've done better. In my case? I should've gotten anti heal earlier.

Combinations and strategies need some work methinks.

We obviously have Zeus, Loki and Athena as our winning team, but as we saw in our matches, the enemies ran some excellent combinations as well. That double silence was especially painful., but it was smart. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to run Chaac, Kumbha and Sol. Sol could handle mage and hunter duties and the tanks keep her alive.  I'm also wondering if Nox and Ymir could work and another tank (maybe Chaac haha). Objectives won't be that big of a deal if we get some flat penetration items.

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Season 7...

New joust map. Means time to grind ranked joust once more! I think we have a pretty good chance of getting into at least platinum.

Maybe if we do 2 ranked jousts a session along with some conquests? We'd also have to work out combinations.

I know I can't play warriors in this mode for whatever reason, but I can play Kumbha for guardians (but he's usually banned out).

Mages and hunters are my specialty in this mode. I'm so and so with assassins but I think assassins will be more meaningful with the bigger jungle.

Care to join me in the grind?

@Stubborn Saber @Sakura Alexia

Been trying to think of cancerous comps to run. Obviously, this will change on the new map.

Athena - Medusa - Pele

Athena - Zeus - Loki (this is our main one)

Chaac - Sol - Kumbha