Dragon Age 4

• Administrator

We know it's coming. The question is when and what will the game be about?

@smolwarden @OfficerDonNZ @RykerDavis @TJMike

Here is what is known thus far >

Casey Hudson, general manager at BioWare, elaborated on the game a little more, saying that the title will be "story and character focused", with its 'live' element more akin to something like Assassin's Creed Origins than Destiny 2

Mark Darrah, executive producer on the entire Dragon Age series, and Anthem too, tweeted out that a new Dragon Age game is in development.

Mike Laidlaw might have left, but he did speak to a fan on Twitter and confirmed the Dragon Age team already had ideas for a "theoretical" Dragon Age 5. "There is no planned ending for DA," he said, in response to a question asking if the fantasy role-playing series once had a set conclusion. "There is an evolving plan that tends to look two games ahead or so."

... And that's it. Anthem is the current focus at the moment.

What can we expect?

I suspect Solas will be important in the next game. Very important.

I think the next game will be in Tevinter Imperium.

What would you like to see?

Personally, I'd a major combat overhaul. I'd like combat to be more fun like it is in God of War, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter World etc. I went back to DAI the other day and I found the combat sorely lacking in contrast to what I'm accustomed to playing. It might feel a bit different on PC but on console it's a nightmare and is really just press buttons quickly. So yeah. A combat system like the aforementioned games would be nice.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, OfficerDonNZ said:

I hate to say this but I don't really care about DA4 or Bioware for that matter anymore. I'm not buying Anthem. DA:I dragged on far too long and I've never fished it. ME:A suffered the same prblem, big areas filled with fuck all. Bioware died a long time ago, it's just a  name now nothing more. 

Ah damn : (

I kinda wish the Dragon Age series had a big map filled with life like Assassins Creed and GTA. Huge maps but there's crap loads to do and it's always interesting.

I won;t be buying Anthem myself. Don't care for that. Friggen EA for ruining BioWare.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, OfficerDonNZ said:

With DA:I and ME:A Bioware were trying to do 'open world' and it didn't really work out because it doesn't really fit with Bioware's usual story telling style, that's why I got board with both games.

Yeah, that's true. They need to go back to what made them likable in the first place, but I highly doubt that's ever going to happen. 

The combat is so outdated on the Dragon Age series. Not sure what it is like with Mass Effect though (does it feel like other popular shooters?)

One of the biggest complaints regarding DA:I was the lack of story. While there was the big overlying main quest line it fell short of what we had in DA:O. I believe BioWare tried to fix that in Trespasser but also fell short because how much story can you put into a DLC? BioWare does listen to the fans even though it doesn't seem like it too much. In the original MA trilogy for example the fans wanted to romance Garrus, so the fans got Garrus. In DA2 fans complained the map wasn't too restrictive, so DA:I gave them an expansive world. One of the biggest issues in fandom is the fans. We're always going to find something to complain about. There's always going to be something we don't like or something that we wish was different. But I think BioWare does everything they can to make games its fans will enjoy. That being said...

What I would like to see come out of DA4 is the lore. DA:O did such a great job of world building and some of our best lore comes from that game. I would like to see DA4 be a mix of DA:O and DA:I. I personally don't have any major qualms with the franchise EXCEPT DWARVES. GIVE ME A DWARF ROMANCE. I would also like to see more of Varric but I just can't get enough of him. He's my kryptonite.

There are a few things we know about BioWare that can give us hints about where DA4 is going. Firstly we know each DA game will have a new protagonist and Trespasser served to wrap up the Inquisitor's story. With the Inquisition still being active in DA4 it can't take place that long after Trespasser so it also likely won't take place in Ferelden. Tevinter is a fan favorite but I believe it will be in Orlais. I would love to see Nevarra or Antiva but I doubt BioWare is going to stray far from Ferelden.  BioWare could not give Solasmancers a happily ever after because it wouldn't have transitioned into later games so I do believe Solas will make an appearance in DA4. Even with Gaider and Laidlaw having left we know BioWare plans 2 games in advance so the current team still has their notes/ideas for DA4, so knowing their preferences for DA I think we can expect an expansion on what DA:I tried to offer.

As usual my ideas are everywhere so if you want to discuss a certain idea let me know. I also have to go run errands so ask me more questions and I can finish my thoughts later lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

More news about DA4! In summary if you can't be bothered watching the entire video (it's full of some stuff about BioWare working at home and the comics and such)

• New romances. Randy (sexually arousing lol). Sad. Sweet. Emotional.
  • Lots of sexy times.
  • April 2022 at the latest. Some delays because of coronavirus
  • Live service component but won't be like Anthem. "Designed for a continued storyline after game is done"
  • Set in Tevinter. You can read the book Tevinter Nights to learn more

@OfficerDonNZ @RykerDavis @Zadien @smolwarden

I'm not really going to be getting too excited about this game until it's announced and it's close to the release date. There's too much supposition and trying to read between the lines and that generally doesn't actually give an accurate depiction of what's going on. 

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

We have news!

Dragon Age fans, we have exciting news! Get an early look at BioWare’s next Dragon Age adventure during #TheGameAwards.

Tune in on Dec 10th starting at 4PM PT. thegameawards.com/watch

With all the recent drama at BioWare, I don't know if I can get too excited about this game.

Yeah I'm going to be watching this with my friend anyway, she's interested in the awards part and the hopes FFVII might get something (they won't, it'll probably be Last of Us II) but we'll see. Final Fantasy is potentially announcing something too and I would really like something about Part 2 but I dunno. I'd love to see Yuffie or maybe Vincent. That would be cool. But yeah... it's hard to get hyped for DA4 now, after seeing how Andromeda and Anthem went. And now with everyone jumping ship - but games are made by more than one or two people, so we'll just have to see. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Zadien said:

Yeah I'm going to be watching this with my friend anyway, she's interested in the awards part and the hopes FFVII might get something (they won't, it'll probably be Last of Us II) but we'll see. Final Fantasy is potentially announcing something too and I would really like something about Part 2 but I dunno. I'd love to see Yuffie or maybe Vincent. That would be cool. But yeah... it's hard to get hyped for DA4 now, after seeing how Andromeda and Anthem went. And now with everyone jumping ship - but games are made by more than one or two people, so we'll just have to see. 

I just hope they don't make this into a big MMORPG. Or turn it into Anthem-like.

I suspect next game will obviously take place into Tevinter and we're gonna be dealing with Solas.

I hope Dorian comes back. Maybe Samson could be a possibility too since the red lyrium didn't impact him.

I would like to see what happened with our Grey Warden from game 1 though, and how our Inquistor is faring too. 

Yeah there's a lot of unanswered questions from the last game and it should culminate in a great story that ties things together, but I just don't have that faith anymore. Going MMORPG will absolutely lose it players. But then again MMORPGs are very popular. And you can just keep adding onto that base game. However, to have the first three be one type of game and then to shift drastically, that seems a bad idea. Who knows.

I'd love to see Dorian back, because he's amazing. Samson - I can't really remember much about him to be honest. Like I remember him but I can't remember what I did with him, I think I gave him to those he hurt most. That seems like the kind of justice I'd dole out.

But I am hyped to kill the egg. I hate him. Like I loathe and detest him. After everything that went down on my first play through (and I wasn't his biggest fan in that version either) when I played for the second and third time, I never even bothered talking to him. Just ran through his room to get to Dorian. I have no time for him and it amuses me that he's so very much someone everyone romanced, so it's like this tragic, doomed romance, and I'm just happily going to chop his head off. He'll be redeemed. He will. And I'll be furious because I want his egg head on a pike.

• Administrator
On 12/8/2020 at 8:19 AM, Zadien said:

Yeah there's a lot of unanswered questions from the last game and it should culminate in a great story that ties things together, but I just don't have that faith anymore. Going MMORPG will absolutely lose it players. But then again MMORPGs are very popular. And you can just keep adding onto that base game. However, to have the first three be one type of game and then to shift drastically, that seems a bad idea. Who knows.

I'd love to see Dorian back, because he's amazing. Samson - I can't really remember much about him to be honest. Like I remember him but I can't remember what I did with him, I think I gave him to those he hurt most. That seems like the kind of justice I'd dole out.

But I am hyped to kill the egg. I hate him. Like I loathe and detest him. After everything that went down on my first play through (and I wasn't his biggest fan in that version either) when I played for the second and third time, I never even bothered talking to him. Just ran through his room to get to Dorian. I have no time for him and it amuses me that he's so very much someone everyone romanced, so it's like this tragic, doomed romance, and I'm just happily going to chop his head off. He'll be redeemed. He will. And I'll be furious because I want his egg head on a pike.

Solas seemed really off-putting right from the get go. Hope to kill him in DA4.

Here is the teaser! Solas naturally. And I think that's Varric?

I suspect Cullen won't be back either considering what happened with his voice actor, Greg Ellis (unless they get someone else to replace him like they did with Anders?)

I really want Sebastian back though. His story arc was rushed in DA2 and the romance was pretty lackluster as well. I want a conclusion!

https://fb.watch/2iv2IGeTzq/

• 3 months later...