The Future of BioWare

OfficerDonNZ

Well I knew BioWare have been hvaing problems but if this article is even remotely accurate then it might well be the final nail in the BioWare coffin if Anthem fails (which I think it will) BioWare was bought by EA in about 2007 and ever since then the studio has been slowly dying. It also explains why content for SWTOR has all but dried up which don't bode well but then as a regular player I've seen SWTOR lurch from disaster to the next over the past two years or so.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/01/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts/

• Administrator
1 hour ago, OfficerDonNZ said:

Well I knew BioWare have been hvaing problems but if this article is even remotely accurate then it might well be the final nail in the BioWare coffin if Anthem fails (which I think it will) BioWare was bought by EA in about 2007 and ever since then the studio has been slowly dying. It also explains why content for SWTOR has all but dried up which don't bode well but then as a regular player I've seen SWTOR lurch from disaster to the next over the past two years or so.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/01/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts/

That would be awful. We need a Dragon Age 4 : ( Maybe they could just leave EA.... but I guess they wouldn't have the financial power to keep going.

33 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

That would be awful. We need a Dragon Age 4 : ( Maybe they could just leave EA.... but I guess they wouldn't have the financial power to keep going.

Many of the BioWare vets have left over the years. And even if who are left did leave EA would still hold the rights to the DA and ME games. BioWare is EA sadly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Is there even much hype about Anthem? I haven't heard much about it.

If you're aware of it then yes there's been some. Otherwise I can't really say. It's mass marketing campaign should be kicking in soonish as it's it's due out the 22nd of February 2019.

Here's a post that has everything that is known about Anthem at the current time.

http://bsn.boards.net/thread/15757/anthem

Anthem will be the first Bioware game I haven't bought, nor have any intention of buying.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Not surprisingly Anthem was a big disaster for BioWare. Most if not all the original team are gone. EA ruined Bioware. Now EA want to focus on multiplayer aspects in DA4 too because single player games don't sell. 

As a long time fan.... This sucks so much. I miss the days when BioWare games were about story and characters. Now it is just about transactions and multiplayer. 

Mike Laidlaw gone (creative director). David Gaider gone (writer). Drew Karpyshyn left again (ME writer). James Ohlen gone (BG writer)

Ugh. 

@OfficerDonNZ @K'natara Synge

I think BioWare's days are numbered and at this point it's just a name. All the people that made BuioWare, BioWare are all long gone.

There two Kotako articles make for grim reading. The BioWare we know and loved is long dead.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/04/the-past-and-present-of-dragon-age-4/

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/04/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Well, more drama at BioWare.

BioWare Studio Head and Dragon Age Producer both leave BioWare.

Casey Hudson is leaving again and Mark Darrah is also leaving.

Christian Daley, formerly of Blizzard Entertainment, will now take over Dragon Age 4.

Also, Greg Ellis, voice actor of Cullen and Anders, had a go at Mark Darrah over Twitter > 

Thoughts? Greg might've just barred himself from ever being hired from BioWare again.

Though gotta say, as much as I like Greg's work on Cullen, I'm disappointed to see he's a Trump supporter, and these attacks against Mark are very... petty.

Also, sadly apparently Greg is a real douchebag and a bigot based on his history. 

@Zadien @smolwarden @K'natara Synge @RykerDavis  @Lady Mechanika @OfficerDonNZ

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh! I had hopes. But it looks like BioWare is never going to get it stuff together and become an upstanding member of society again. I hope one of the other companies or we can get a start up to take their place. While I try to ignore the 'actor' for the character. (since its their job and not who they are) sometimes it is just impossible not to allow it to color my thinking. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, RykerDavis said:

Ugh! I had hopes. But it looks like BioWare is never going to get it stuff together and become an upstanding member of society again. I hope one of the other companies or we can get a start up to take their place. While I try to ignore the 'actor' for the character. (since its their job and not who they are) sometimes it is just impossible not to allow it to color my thinking. 

Yeah, it certainly makes it hard to do a Cullen romance without thinking of Greg. He even voiced his disapproval using Cullen. Very ugh.

I have to try and keep Cullen the character separate from the beliefs of Greg. A shame because I liked his voice acting work.

8 hours ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Yeah, it certainly makes it hard to do a Cullen romance without thinking of Greg. He even voiced his disapproval using Cullen. Very ugh.

I have to try and keep Cullen the character separate from the beliefs of Greg. A shame because I liked his voice acting work.

No artist should use their creations to to further their personal agendas.   one caveat to that ... if the creation was created to be a satirical prop then it is okay. Because that is what the creation was intended for.  That way if you identify with the said character you are not blindsided later.     A good example of that is  Triumph the Comic Insult Dog.  

I am so disappointed in him... I did not know that he had used 'Cullen' to give credence to his personal ideals.  To romance him and be able to have the immersive feel just just YouTube Cullen dialogue multiple times before you play.  That way the 'Cullen' you romance is the Cullen from the game. Not the duffus who gives him life.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 1/2/2021 at 4:16 PM, RykerDavis said:

No artist should use their creations to to further their personal agendas.   one caveat to that ... if the creation was created to be a satirical prop then it is okay. Because that is what the creation was intended for.  That way if you identify with the said character you are not blindsided later.     A good example of that is  Triumph the Comic Insult Dog.  

I am so disappointed in him... I did not know that he had used 'Cullen' to give credence to his personal ideals.  To romance him and be able to have the immersive feel just just YouTube Cullen dialogue multiple times before you play.  That way the 'Cullen' you romance is the Cullen from the game. Not the duffus who gives him life.  

Agreed! I saw the video and just felt embarrassed. Then Greg was ranting on Twitter about how much of a loser Mark Darrah is.

• 1 year later...