Insecurity in Writing

10 minutes ago, EricLightscythe said:

All the Wise Old Sages of the forum have had their say, and they've said well, so I doubt I can add anything more without being repetitive, thanks to my lack of experience. But you're a fan of Elder Scrolls, and I've been having a discussion with @Maximsk about the same.

Building on what @AquilaTempestas, in most fandoms, especially Elder Scrolls, people absolutely hate it when you set foot outside the normal boundaries. Maximsk's stories are amazing- nothing like you've ever seen before- but they're so -different- that people can't handle having to read something that's not just another damn retelling/silly PWP and appreciate how good it actually is. Seriously, sort by reviews and all the top rated ones are plain retellings, or have more smut than necessary. 

The first story I posted is actually the first thing I've ever written. Embers and Iron. I started it off as a retelling, but as I wrote, the characters seemed to change, and I started to think about how they'd really react to an in-game situation, and the story just sort of started writing itself. It's completely off the rails, canon-wise, now, and I'm having so much damn fun writing it. 

The second two stories are completely freeform, and I feel like the Angry Elf because I'm completely psyched out of my mind about the other WIP, and I want everyone else to love it, too. It's like how I am with my kid. "She's cute!  Love her!!!" Actually, I never have trouble getting people to like my kid. She is pretty damn adorable. 

The one weird thing I've noticed about Elder Scrolls fans is that if you don't get the romantic pairing right, they will get literally angry. I had someone message me, angry because my DB didn't end up with who they thought the right character was for her. And it wasn' t even a mystery. The romantic pairing was right there in the tags. 

On 5/18/2017 at 1:42 AM, AquilaTempestas said:

The top stories in my fandom a are filled with Hollywood cliches too. Let's have the typical hot guy eventually falls for geeky girl. Or better yet, let's have a love triangle yay featuring most popular characters!

These can be done well mind you. Sometimes they can be enjoyable if theres some development happening and it's realistic. However, most of the time, in my fandoms, it's high school level drama. 

Though I suppose that makes sense since people in my fandoms tend to be teenage females. Fandoms like Smite and Dark Souls are too small...

There is a story in Smite that is really popular for a small fandom. Too bad it has absolutely nothing to do with the game and it's just utter garbage with randomness galore.

Supernatural was another fandom I used to write for. Most of the popular stories here were about incest. That alone should be enough to say "popular doesn't mean good". If it is about sex, or features some popular pairing (because eventually they are going to have sex), then it's going to sell well.

Now if your story has complex plots, strong character development, and a plot that goes against the trends, tough luck trying to find an audience. Most people don't want to try something new. Most people don't want to spend too much time thinking about a story either.

Omg, the episode of Supernatural where Sam and Dean discover all the incest fanfic that's been written about them. That was one of my favorites. 

Well, my plots are pretty damn complex. I just hope they're complex in the right way, you know? I've had a couple of people read the first few chapters of my newest story just to make sure I wasn't throwing a twist in out of nowhere. That's one of my absolute no-nos for any story, written or visual. When a twist or a surprise is thrown in with no clues whatsoever. It's not clever. So far, I've not committed that particular faux pas. 

My newest story takes on one of the most difficult things to do without being totally cheesy - modern woman gets stuck in a fantasy world. I think I'm escaping the cheese factor by making it part of the actual plot. Not just a "well, I'm here, might as well screw every hot guy in Whiterun, right?" And because in my story, the Elder Scrolls fandom doesn't exist, so she's not literally falling into a video game. But whatever, I'm having the best damn time writing it. 

On 5/17/2017 at 5:30 PM, MasKaiHilFantic said:

No no no, you ate not awful. You're just sharing your experiences and asking suggestions ^_^ nothing awful or wrong about that. It happened to all of us, especially me 

Good to know, I'm not the only (sometimes) catty one here. ;)

Oh romantic pairings, those can be fun. I haven't gotten that far officially yet in my fic but I've been dropping enough hints. :D Nat is a shameless flirt where a certain Jedi Padawan is concerned ;) Though I'm pretty sure if/when I get to making it official I'm going to get an interesting reaction from some people. Along the line of 'OMG no he'd never fall for a Sith' and the like I suspect. Bwawawah.....

Assuming I ever get a new beta.... sigh....

20 minutes ago, OfficerDonNZ said:

Oh romantic pairings, those can be fun. I haven't gotten that far officially yet in my fic but I've been dropping enough hints. :D Nat is a shameless flirt where a certain Jedi Padawan is concerned ;) Though I'm pretty sure if/when I get to making it official I'm going to get an interesting reaction from some people. Along the line of 'OMG no he'd never fall for a Sith' and the like I suspect. Bwawawah.....

Assuming I ever get a new beta.... sigh....

Oh, I would absolutely fall for a Sith. At least I would have in my 20s. The dark, damaged, brooding man always did it for me back then. 

I've NEVER had a beta. Can't find anyone to take it on other than just the occasional chapter or two. I see people posting on AO3 that so and so has offered to beta their writing, and it makes me seethe inside. I'm just gonna assume that people think my stuff is so good, it doesn't need a beta. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Randomly coming back to this after sometime after we had to share a short writing excerpt in class today based on a prompt (ugh).

I have to admit. I'm pretty self-conscious when it comes to creative writing for a number of reasons mostly based on highschool stuff.

We had this major end of school exam that would help place you in university. It's a really complex shitty system (they are changing it now thankfully) but we had four exams to determine our ranking against other students in the entire state. Based on your overall grades, this end of school state exam would make your overall position higher or lower (compared to every other student in the state doing that subject. Yeah. Shit system I know).

Anyways. We had professional authors grade the writing part. I failed. My friends who never even did creative writing did better than me. That was a big slap in the face for me because I used to consider my stuff somewhat decent. I've never been able to shake off. So I'm pretty insecure over it because of this. It didn't help that I received a lot of negative reviews over the years. These reviews would include

• your material is boring
  • you writing is stiff and lacks emotion
  • you have no idea how to write anything at all
  • you don't know what a plot is
  • your characters and plots make no sense
  • you need an editor badly because you're terrible
  • you need to take writing lessons so you can learn how to write a proper sentence
  • your plots are terrible

Yeah. I don't really trust positive reviews. I think people who say positive things about my work must be lying or just being nice. Either that, or I reviewed their work and they decided to be nice and return the favour by leaving me a false positive review. Or they could just be a friend. If you say to me my writing is good, I'm sorry, I won't believe you. I simply can't because it's untrue. I know people say don't take it personally.... But I do. Writing was one of few things I found enjoyment in. It got me through rough times. I've invested a lot of emotion in my work so it really hits me hard when people have negative things to say. Yeah. I'm overreacting. But I can't help but keep thinking about that exam that I failed in.

I don't call myself a good writer. In fact, I don't like it when people consider me a good writer because it's a lie. I'm far from it and I know I'll never reach the criteria of 'being a good writer'. When I submit this 3000 word story as the final assignment for the unit... I will get another clarification of how choosing not to be an author was one of the smartest decisions I've ever made. I will know how awful I truly am as these markers are also published authors who have won awards and such and clearly know the art. My hopes aren't high. I'll be surprised to pass to be honest. But I think that result (I'll find out in July) will be the end of me writing for good. I just don't think I can take another 'you suck' (in polite words obviously) again from professionals.

In my opinion, if one looks at reviews  and things like that, one will always be insecure and unhappy,  because that's not the purpose of writing for fun ( professional writing's debatable).   In terms of writing for fun, you're not writing for what others want,  you're writing for what you want.  It's just a passion.

One thing to also keep in mind  is that no matter how good a writer you are, you can't control what readers decide to do  or react. That goes for professional writing as well.  I think keeping that  and the above  in mind helps with insecurities, because it  helps the writer to be realistic. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, onewiththewheels said:

In my opinion, if one looks at reviews  and things like that, one will always be insecure and unhappy,  because that's not the purpose of writing for fun ( professional writing's debatable).   In terms of writing for fun, you're not writing for what others want,  you're writing for what you want.  It's just a passion.

One thing to also keep in mind  is that no matter how good a writer you are, you can't control what readers decide to do  or react. That goes for professional writing as well.  I think keeping that  and the above  in mind helps with insecurities, because it  helps the writer to be realistic. 

Reviews are a good way of non biased people giving you feedback on your work. I wanted to be an author at one stage in my life. That dream died a long time ago.

It also sucks when you're getting graded on what you write (for university courses) by professional authors and it's damming when they tell you your work is terrible.

You have to keep in mind everyone deals with criticism in a different manner. Some people can easily shrug it off. Not everyone can.

Writing for fun is fine. Nothing wrong with that. But when you're forced to do it then it's not so fun when it harms your grades.

5 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Reviews are a good way of non biased people giving you feedback on your work. I wanted to be an author at one stage in my life. That dream died a long time ago.

It also sucks when you're getting graded on what you write (for university courses) by professional authors and it's damming when they tell you your work is terrible.

You have to keep in mind everyone deals with criticism in a different manner. Some people can easily shrug it off. Not everyone can.

Writing for fun is fine. Nothing wrong with that. But when you're forced to do it then it's not so fun when it harms your grades.

When I was talking about reviews, I meant the quantity. Reviews can be very good, but a lot of people wonder where they aren't getting a lot of them.

As for college professors, one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of them only grade a specific type of writing. So if they are  seen your writing is terrible, it could very well only apply to the specific type that you are graded on.  Furthermore, not a professional  authors are good writers, college professors included. So we're getting a bad grade sucks, it's not in the end all  when it comes to writing.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, onewiththewheels said:

When I was talking about reviews, I meant the quantity. Reviews can be very good, but a lot of people wonder where they aren't getting a lot of them.

As for college professors, one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of them only grade a specific type of writing. So if they are  seen your writing is terrible, it could very well only apply to the specific type that you are graded on.  Furthermore, not a professional  authors are good writers, college professors included. So we're getting a bad grade sucks, it's not in the end all  when it comes to writing.

Unfortunately, I'm doing a creative writing subject at the moment so we're getting graded on plot, characterization, grammar and spelling, world building etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'm coming back to this thread to whine about how shit I am at writing.

For a few years now, I've mistakenly believed that I was somewhat half decent at writing.

But as my creative writing course has taught me... I'm actually bad. Like really fucking bad. My fellow classmates can just come up with good stuff in a specified amount of time and I can't come up with anything. Some of these people don't even write. They're just naturally good.

As someone who has been at this for about fifteen years now, it does suck, but in some ways it's probably a sign that I should just stop trying to fool myself into thinking I can do something when I clearly am incapable of it.

I just sit here now looking at the screen and thinking about all the advice I've given out over the years. Who am I to give advice when I have no skill of my own? I look at all the shit I've done and think to myself, 'wow, this crap is actually laughably bad'. Sometimes I don't even want to admit that I wrote it because it's so cringe-worthy. 

I'm just naturally a bad writer. I think I'm just starting to accept that now instead of laying the blame on other things. My characterizations make no sense. My grammar is terrible. My plots are so cliche and badly done it's hard to take the stories seriously. My dialogue is beyond corny and lame. My descriptive writing doesn't exist because I can't do it no matter how many times I've tried taking those online courses. 

Do I quit now when I'm so close to the finish line? Or continue to force myself through a monotonous horrible cliche piece of crap?

@AquilaTempestas

I would say just keep going. If you’re that close to the finish line and you switch  your writing around , you lose whatever time you’ve taken to build up your writing. And if this is the first  class you have,  you’ve a lot of opportunities to get better. 

It’s something I can speak towards personally right now. Right now, I’m trying to do a legal research paper for a graduate school class. The problem is that  I’m not a passionate about law, despite being interested. This is also my first class in anything in almost 3 years.  Not to mention it’s an entirely new field I know almost nothing about.  So it’s extremely difficult and I spent a lot of time changing topics. When I finally got to a topic that looked like it could have a lot of information but I didn’t really like , I realized that it wasn’t worth changing topics repeatedly because for one I would never really be that passionate about my topic  like I was with other papers I wrote,  and two,  I was losing a lot of time switching back-and-forth constantly.  Every topic switch meant I had to do my research all over again.  With the paper being due in about  three weeks, that wasn’t something I could afford.

So sometimes you have to keep going, even if you don’t think it’s your best. At least you give it an honest effort and can submit something.  And if it doesn’t do well, you can use it as a learning experience to find how to improve ( or find out if something doesn’t interest you).

• Administrator
5 hours ago, onewiththewheels said:

@AquilaTempestas

I would say just keep going. If you’re that close to the finish line and you switch  your writing around , you lose whatever time you’ve taken to build up your writing. And if this is the first  class you have,  you’ve a lot of opportunities to get better. 

It’s something I can speak towards personally right now. Right now, I’m trying to do a legal research paper for a graduate school class. The problem is that  I’m not a passionate about law, despite being interested. This is also my first class in anything in almost 3 years.  Not to mention it’s an entirely new field I know almost nothing about.  So it’s extremely difficult and I spent a lot of time changing topics. When I finally got to a topic that looked like it could have a lot of information but I didn’t really like , I realized that it wasn’t worth changing topics repeatedly because for one I would never really be that passionate about my topic  like I was with other papers I wrote,  and two,  I was losing a lot of time switching back-and-forth constantly.  Every topic switch meant I had to do my research all over again.  With the paper being due in about  three weeks, that wasn’t something I could afford.

So sometimes you have to keep going, even if you don’t think it’s your best. At least you give it an honest effort and can submit something.  And if it doesn’t do well, you can use it as a learning experience to find how to improve ( or find out if something doesn’t interest you).

I could just throw it all away. Lose 200,000 words without a care in the world. Story is awful anyway. I just remember bringing up my idea and thinking it was awesome only to be shit down afterwards. 

I don't want to be an author. I'm only writing now because I have this idea that's been driving me crazy for awhile now. I don't have any readers anyway - first two chapters up and the only people reading it are people here. It's probably out of sympathy. 

Sorry. I take a lot of pride in what I do. I like to think I'm half decent. But it burns so much when people who have never written a story before make it look so easy and their writing is just so much better in every way. 

I can look at my writing from five years ago and see no improvement at all. I've taken courses. I've had people look over shit. I've sought advice from other writrrs. Nothing has helped. Nothing has changed. That guy might have been right. I'm just naturally a bad writer. 

Now I can't help but think all the stuff I've written in the past should just be deleted. It's all so horrible anyway. Bad characterisation. Five year old dialogue. Every line is just flawed. There's so many grammatical errors too it's amazing I even passed school. I just see nothing good in my writing. I'm sure a kid could do better. 

I can't name one positive thing. Nothing at all because there is nothing. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

I could just throw it all away. Lose 200,000 words without a care in the world. Story is awful anyway. I just remember bringing up my idea and thinking it was awesome only to be shit down afterwards. 

I don't want to be an author. I'm only writing now because I have this idea that's been driving me crazy for awhile now. I don't have any readers anyway - first two chapters up and the only people reading it are people here. It's probably out of sympathy. 

Sorry. I take a lot of pride in what I do. I like to think I'm half decent. But it burns so much when people who have never written a story before make it look so easy and their writing is just so much better in every way. 

I can look at my writing from five years ago and see no improvement at all. I've taken courses. I've had people look over shit. I've sought advice from other writrrs. Nothing has helped. Nothing has changed. That guy might have been right. I'm just naturally a bad writer. 

Now I can't help but think all the stuff I've written in the past should just be deleted. It's all so horrible anyway. Bad characterisation. Five year old dialogue. Every line is just flawed. There's so many grammatical errors too it's amazing I even passed school. I just see nothing good in my writing. I'm sure a kid could do better. 

I can't name one positive thing. Nothing at all because there is nothing. 

Just reread the Creighton story. Could do with more lines on exploring the scene, instead of just dialogue and internal monologue, but it succeeded at conveying the emotions of the character through his biased narration. The paragraphing looked unnatural, at least on mobile. Either way, if I hadn't liked your two stories and how you've interpreted the characters from the game with the most limited information, I wouldn't be here right now. So, you must have done something right. I mean I got an E in creative writing A-level so I'm not some high-fangled big shot, but your stuff is fun-and I think it's 'neato' but not 'artistic'. Like Future Diary, or Megaman Zero 3, or the Abyss Watchers from DS3-not deep, but fun. You're also not the best writer I've ever seen, but if you can come up with a new permutation of concepts, you don't have to be. I follow worse, I enjoy worse. In fact, my AS was a D on me talking out my ass on wood and also a rhyming poem-style story using the Herculean Labours as inspiration for a German spy protagonist in WWI on an adventure. My A-level was a story on a world inside a fanfiction dying when the author trips over his power cable. All were janky AF and my last was clagged full of weeb shit and wikipedia religion, but I had a blast writing them. Also, it's pretty well-known FF.net is dying, so an exodus to AO3 as soon as it gets better at not-porn might be on its way. Get on top of the wave, it'll be good for a fresh audience.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Wizardrous Magicman said:

Just reread the Creighton story. Could do with more lines on exploring the scene, instead of just dialogue and internal monologue, but it succeeded at conveying the emotions of the character through his biased narration. The paragraphing looked unnatural, at least on mobile. Either way, if I hadn't liked your two stories and how you've interpreted the characters from the game with the most limited information, I wouldn't be here right now. So, you must have done something right. I mean I got an E in creative writing A-level so I'm not some high-fangled big shot, but your stuff is fun-and I think it's 'neato' but not 'artistic'. Like Future Diary, or Megaman Zero 3, or the Abyss Watchers from DS3-not deep, but fun. You're also not the best writer I've ever seen, but if you can come up with a new permutation of concepts, you don't have to be. I follow worse, I enjoy worse. In fact, my AS was a D on me talking out my ass on wood and also a rhyming poem-style story using the Herculean Labours as inspiration for a German spy protagonist in WWI on an adventure. My A-level was a story on a world inside a fanfiction dying when the author trips over his power cable. All were janky AF and my last was clagged full of weeb shit and wikipedia religion, but I had a blast writing them. Also, it's pretty well-known FF.net is dying, so an exodus to AO3 as soon as it gets better at not-porn might be on its way. Get on top of the wave, it'll be good for a fresh audience.

Yeah, I've never been a descriptive writer. I find I do better if I world build through dialogue (this was one of the points we learned in creative writing class - don't dump too much narrative text unless it's actually important). Paragraphing on my end looks fine but it could just be a mobile thing. Sometimes it's really janky on mobile and paragraphs look super long or super short. Not sure if neato not artistic is an insult haha. I guess good writing all comes down to a matter of perspective. Some people think Game of Thrones is utter shite. 

I have no intentions of moving to Ao3. I really don't like the tagging system and it's horrible to read.

5 minutes ago, AquilaTempestas said:

Yeah, I've never been a descriptive writer. I find I do better if I world build through dialogue (this was one of the points we learned in creative writing class - don't dump too much narrative text unless it's actually important). Paragraphing on my end looks fine but it could just be a mobile thing. Sometimes it's really janky on mobile and paragraphs look super long or super short. Not sure if neato not artistic is an insult haha. I guess good writing all comes down to a matter of perspective. Some people think Game of Thrones is utter shite. 

I have no intentions of moving to Ao3. I really don't like the tagging system and it's horrible to read.

I'm not saying do this for anything major or anything, but what about running an experiment where you try to Chekov's Gun *everything*? Describe a scenario, in detail, but make everything link back to something, like a forensics investigation does.

You're not super wrong about the mobile thing, but I mean the paragraphs feel like they're mostly of a similar length on my device, 6 lines crops up a lot-might actually be a weird tic of mine though. Also 'neato not artistic' isn't an insult but it's not exactly a compliment either? You know when a teenage girl fails art class for just drawing anime girls, even if they have cool designs? That's kind of it. Not stylistically good, not innovative, but good in some other way, can't think of the word. That's kinda what I want though, with at best some art behind it-cool inspirations, philosophy stuff, meta junk, that sort of stuff-but not always super necessary. I enjoy Shadow the Hedgehog on the same level as DS2 and 3, and honestly more than NieR: Automata so far.

Also for me on mobile, AO3 is great. Similar line structure to FF, plus it actually allows you to upload, even if the text editor is a little snappy. Like, it pulls the cursor around. Ah well, better than nothing!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Wizardrous Magicman said:

I'm not saying do this for anything major or anything, but what about running an experiment where you try to Chekov's Gun *everything*? Describe a scenario, in detail, but make everything link back to something, like a forensics investigation does.

You're not super wrong about the mobile thing, but I mean the paragraphs feel like they're mostly of a similar length on my device, 6 lines crops up a lot-might actually be a weird tic of mine though. Also 'neato not artistic' isn't an insult but it's not exactly a compliment either? You know when a teenage girl fails art class for just drawing anime girls, even if they have cool designs? That's kind of it. Not stylistically good, not innovative, but good in some other way, can't think of the word. That's kinda what I want though, with at best some art behind it-cool inspirations, philosophy stuff, meta junk, that sort of stuff-but not always super necessary. I enjoy Shadow the Hedgehog on the same level as DS2 and 3, and honestly more than NieR: Automata so far.

Also for me on mobile, AO3 is great. Similar line structure to FF, plus it actually allows you to upload, even if the text editor is a little snappy. Like, it pulls the cursor around. Ah well, better than nothing!

No, I don't like doing that. I find too many description too boring. To be fair, my one shots are pretty sparse. 

I'm more inspired by authors like JK Rowling. Not much description, but has a decent plot and interesting characters.

Feeling insecure comes naturally with the territory when stepping into anything. Sure, you could always write because you love it, because your ideas differ from the common layman, because you’re driven by a passion to speak your mind. 

But you should never think in the sense of like, “Shit, people won’t pay attention to my stuff.” How do you know that? There’s 8 billion people. Some of your ideas will eventually tingle with someone. They become obsessed and want more. But you might never know. Or maybe you will. 

Writing should always be something you should be proud of as you put in the effort to tell a tale. The longer you mull in the aspect you’re not good enough, it makes you feel defeated, unworthy. It shouldn’t. Whatever you write, you should be proud of it. Doesn’t matter if it’s a saga or one sentence that transforms the enter story. It’s still your work. 

As a writer, you’ll stand out in your own way... you just don’t know it yet. Don’t let these thoughts anchor you down. I’ve known you for years and you’re one of the best storytellers I know. I’m not saying as a friend. I speak to you as a fellow writer as our styles differ so much. You have the rare ability to bring forth scenes using B-rated characters into an enjoyable narrative. A skill some writers abuse it or never grasp it. 

• Community Leader

I'd say that comparing yourself to other people is also the easiest way to bring your morale down, in anything, and even more in creative stuff, whatever you do, in your case writing. Comparing yourself is both right and wrong, on one side, you can take inspiration and learn from who is better than you, but on the worst case scenario you'll only become jealous of other people's works and how popular they are and your desire to be the same as them will stop you from doing anything, because two people can't be the same, no matter what, you can be similar but not the same, there will always be that little something that will make your writing different from another person's one, and that is what makes you unique. Treasure your uniqueness, don't throw it away by aspiring to be someone else.

Also, and this was from something I saw recently, you shouldn't ever have the thought that when you create something everyone will like it, sometimes we do something we're really proud of and we're disappointed when we don't see the results we expect, leading us to think that there's a problem and that we're not good enough, but the truth is that we had too high expectations, I do as well with my works. You've got to create for yourself, not for someone else, as long as you're proud of what you did then nothing else shouldn't matter, because you did it for yourself, for your own happiness, for your own improvement.

Its also worth saying that not everyone will dislike your works as well, its subjective, depends from each person, but its impossible to please literally every single person in the world, as long as you're pleased then its good enough. Like I said, do it for yourself, not for other people, some will be attracted by your stuff, others won't, but only you yourself matter.

Ok, so this is my first proper post here. I feel like I should chime in, considering my own experiences.

I had a creative writing class when I was in high school and I failed it miserably. The teacher told me to take up something else because writing clearly wasn't it.

That was a huge blow to my confidence. I'd been writing and RPing for years. Surely I would have noticed that I couldn't write for shit?

Long story short, I was garbage. Those early fics and that RP forum were the writings of a kid who didn't understand story structure or characterization, or worldbuilding. I needed to put in the effort to make it better. 

I restarted Salvation (my main fic). It sucked again. So I rewrote it again before abandoning it. Again, I’d failed to plot things out properly. So I took a break from FFN. 

I came back again. Restarted Salvation. Made it 3 chapters in before giving up on it. Again, flat and boring, with twists pulled out of nowhere. Gave up and abandoned that account. Actually met another user from this forum on one of those accounts.

Again, 6 months ago I restarted Salvation. This time, I didn't feel like it was terrible. I actually got some feedback on my writing and put in work to constantly improve. Again, that version of Salvation died. I still hadn't plotted it out. 

So now that brings us here. I restarted the fic again, restructuring every detail of it. It's taken me months, but I'm finally happy to continue writing the story.

Progress isn't always linear. You don't always get better right away. That's just how it works. I wouldn't be the writer that I am today without having realized my flaws and taken steps to improve on them. 

Yes, I failed my creative writing class. That doesn't mean anything. It's been something like 6 or 7 years since then. I've improved, and I know that I'm better for taking that step to improve my writing. Writing my own novel is still a pipe dream one day, but I'm confident that I’ll get to that point.

Don't worry too much about what your writing is like now. You drew me in with your story. Pokemon as a fandom tends to aim to please the lowest common denominator. Harem and Ash!Betrayed stories will outrank things like ours in reviews/favs/follows by a considerable margin. Don't get too upset, because the views/reviews you will get are probably gonna be a hell of a lot more in-depth than any of the reviews on those stories.

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

Coming back to this many years later...

I think insecurity is something everyone deals with - some are just more outspoken about it.

I know I still deal with many insecurities relating to writing because I'm pretty ambitious and have big goals.

Is it bad to compare yourself to other writers? Yes. But in some ways, I also think it can be helpful too. I've had to do university courses where I've had to compare my writing to someone else's and see how they've done certain things. At school you compare writing as well to look for ways to improve. It's only unhealthy when it consumes you to a point it really affects you and I think this is a point some people don't really get. Comparisons are fine when done in a healthy way - it's healthy to acknowledge your flaws in order to grow - However, comparisons are not fine when they negatively impact you.

There will always be people that are better than you at what you love. That's the fact of life - someone will always be better... But you'll always be better than someone else!