What type of writer are you?

Topic title says it all… Are you someone who tends to post whatever comes into your head, or are you someone who posts more methodically?

I'm definitely in the latter category. I like making a lot of notes on what I'm writing about (I have about a 300 page document about all the things I want to write about) and I like to make sure everything is well researched and making sense before I post.

I tend to update pretty slowly, though.

• Administrator

I've always been a 'update as soon as you finish a chapter' type of writer, but usually the chapters don't need major fixes done anyway since I edit as I type. 

I always go into a story with a plan beforehand - I plan out all the chapters and what I want to happen in each chapter. I'll sort out my character relationships beforehand as well, then work out how I'm going to develop them from point A to point B. All my planning happens before the first chapter is written - I like to know where I'm going before I start the engine so to speak.

I can update pretty quickly. Sometimes I can churn out a 10,000 word chapter in a single day. Sometimes it might take me a couple of days. When I'm motivated and feeling mentally able, I can knock down chapters very fast. I do tend to update quickly - usually on a weekly basis depending. I actually like to have 2-3 chapters done before I upload.

On October 21, 2016 at 6:54 PM, AquilaTempestas said:

I've always been a 'update as soon as you finish a chapter' type of writer, but usually the chapters don't need major fixes done anyway since I edit as I type. 

I always go into a story with a plan beforehand - I plan out all the chapters and what I want to happen in each chapter. I'll sort out my character relationships beforehand as well, then work out how I'm going to develop them from point A to point B. All my planning happens before the first chapter is written - I like to know where I'm going before I start the engine so to speak.

I can update pretty quickly. Sometimes I can churn out a 10,000 word chapter in a single day. Sometimes it might take me a couple of days. When I'm motivated and feeling mentally able, I can knock down chapters very fast. I do tend to update quickly - usually on a weekly basis depending. I actually like to have 2-3 chapters done before I upload.

Sounds like you and I (and @onewiththewheels) take the same approach for the most part. 

I tend to write/update very slowly, though. I get over-critical and try too hard to make everything make sense and come together while writing even if I've made notes; it's kinda stifling and I should really unlearn that. Lol 

I'm a very spontaneous writer, so a bit of both I guess? I just write whatever comes to mind. The editing process is very different because I go through edits after edits after edits and thoroughly and methodically deconstruct that huge mess into something readable. 

My process is hard to explain but I follow the whole "write drunk, edit sober" schtick. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a specific genre. I write horror, supernatural, comedy, romance. My old posting schedule was on a Friday. I would always post a new story/chapter on a Friday evening. Sadly I've got quite a lot of stories I've started but never finished. Its actually a little annoying but my motivation is limited. I only wrote a Halloween story semi last minute.

I ususally write what comes to mind but that always follows with the writer's saying "Write what you know" because thats...what you know and it'll be good. Normally my chapters are 5 pages long at font size 15 which means they average around 1500 words. Personally huge and long chapters put me off writing and I didn't want chapters to be too short. I found this formula to be most effective to avoid extremely large chapters trying to take everyone's attention span into account.

Normally I don't post until I've had my beta have a quick look over. I think its important to have a second pair of eyes look over it before it goes live. I would reccomend finding a beta reader. They can be more helpful than simply correcting typos, even pointing out blaringly obvious plot holes that you missed in your typing fury.

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Nowadays, I'm a lazy mood writer. I write when I feel like it and these non-writing days can last several months to a single year.

I've finished up all my major projects now so that motivation to work to deadlines and such has disappeared. I feel like I've told all the stories I wish to tell so I kinda just do whatever I feel like doing if the mood strikes me.

Generally, to add on to my previous post, if I have an idea, I will try to incorporate it into the current multi-chaptered one. If that idea doesn't work, it becomes a one-shot.

I will never go into a story based on a prompt (unless it's one I've chosen haha like Christmas Day etc). I don't take requests either because I can't write for other people.

I've gotten faster after putting things to deadlines, and also not doing as much at once (e.g. doing only one big story once instead of several). I've tried doing official contests, but found I don't like them as much. The problem is that I enjoy at least a little flexibility with my deadlines, or switch around stories sometimes. Many times, contests don't allow one to do that.

I start with a basic plot line and an end goal for my story.  From there, I just write.  I post at least a chapter at a time.  My goal is a chapter a week, but sometimes, due to other obligations, that can push my deadline back.

I like the open concept for my writing, instead of following a rigid structure of notes.  Sometimes during the writing process, a sudden idea will spring to mind and it's easier to insert it into an open concept than to go back and rewrite everything to accommodate the new idea/character/ etc.

I'm a lot like Bel, and this can probably be blamed on my active imagination and how I had to write to get through school. I have an idea, give myself a general end point, and go from there. Often enough, it doesn't go wherever I plan it to. But having a direction helps.

I sometimes write and post, like for comps and drabbles and things with an exact word count, but longer things I write and then leave in the manager to edit after some time on other things. It gives me a new perspective.

I will write pretty much any genre. I just tend to avoid explicit sexual content (any kind, but implicit entertains me), and parodies. I'm kinda too snarky for the latter and fandoms have rather murdered the former over the years.

My writing speed depends. Usually I can update a lot a week but it's been getting difficult due to real life. But getting at least three updates done a day is my goal these days. Doesn't happen a lot but I'll try.

Safe to say I'm a hybrid of the two types you've posted Wheels. At times when I get an idea I immediately write it down and post it online, other times i take a more methodical approach and do a little bit of research (and I do stress on little) before posting it. The former spruce of energy usually results into oneshots while the latter is usually for chapter-based writings, oneshots sometimes included.

But in terms of poetry I am definitely a guy who will write on the spot, no matter what. And if I cannot then I scribble the ideas somewhere before putting them to work. I do recall Darwin Schniber being the only poem on which I did both i.e wrote spontaneously and approached methodically.

• 7 months later...

I am the least methodical writer. I have an idea for a long term narrative then I write whatever comes to mind with the goal of hitting certain objectives along the way. After I finish a chapter, I give it a once over proof-read and then upload it. I don't even write/update quickly, I'm very slow. 

I'm also the type of writer who doesn't think they write well (apart from select few parts) and doesn't like reading my own writing and cringe everytime. It doesn't help that some people in real life made fun of some of my writing by making it out that everything was hyper-sexual and stuff (despite the fact I'm the most oblivious and innocent person ever).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the past, I write out stories when I "see" them. I was once a visual writer, but not anymore. Hence, why my stories don't see updates in years. I tend to write things out when I "see" the scene unfolding and "hearing" characters talk.

I used to be the type of writer who would write immediately right after a chapter's finished, but I realized quickly it burns you out. Totally not good. Nowadays, I just write whenever I can, even as my imagination dwindles.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that i like to plan out my fic ahead of time if at all possible though with everything that i do in my fic it's not always a walk in the park. With that said i've already know how my entire fic is going to play out from beginning to end, but it takes sometimes takes a minute or 2 to get it all written down due to the fact that i'm trying to get things to a more understandable point. I've got tons of data already written down though because my brain always comes up with something new i usually revise one thing or another in my fic so i post things pretty slow.

• Administrator

Adding to this...

I used to be humour/parody writer. I was into the more sarcastic and crude humour which appealed to a specific audience. I made a name for myself in the Beyblade fandom by writing strictly comedy.

After two years of this, I plucked up the courage to write what I really wanted to write - dark fantasy with complex/intense themes on a dramatic note.

Now I just write what I want to write regardless of what is meta.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to mine... I used to write parody/humor as I wanted to share my lame ideas with other readers. At the time, I didn't care much about reviews; I wanted to write something that could make people laugh stupidly. I have dry/dark humor so I just went with it. I planted specific ideas to Beyblade characters who I think worked. Looking back, I can't believe I produced such lame trash. Most of the things I wrote were completely out of character, but I guess in some aspects, worked. However, I stuck to canon long enough and dared to explore what other personalities these characters may have.

(I'm still damn proud of making Bryan a goofy idiot who loves cross-dressing. And I'm still very happy that Boris's middle name was Waldo, thanks to AT!)

As I got a little older, I wanted to explore dark, modern fantasy filled with dearth, decay, consequences, and choices. I left the BB fandom to pursue it in Final Fantasy. It worked... Until I lost my visual writing abilities. I still write dark fantasy nowadays, but I try to make it believable, even with a touch of magic.

• 4 years later...
  • Administrator

As of 2022 - I am a lazy writer! I will write something for about ten minutes then get bored and do something else.

I will then come back to said story the next day for another ten minutes...  Gone are the days where I could write for many hours in a day.

I'm still very much a big fan of parody and humour still - my true loves. I'll always be a fantasy fan too. It's been a big part of my life so that hasn't changed either.

The only thing that has changed? I got lazier!