Member Profiles

• Community Leader

I thought we could have another try at starting up a community review event. The Review Event will reset on the first of every month.

Submissions for the next month are due by the 28th of each month. 

We will be creating a club on the forum for this event here: 

Rules: 

• Each month,  you may share either a chapter, one-shot or art piece via the forum
  • If you are also using tumblr, mention (with @artistzoneforum) the tumblr, and use the tag #artistzonereviewevent so I can reblog it to our tumblr!
  • Review or comment on another member's post 
    • Once you have reviewed or commented, leave a reply so people can see that it has been reviewed
    • You must have reviewed or commented on another member's work the previous month in order for your next post to be approved.
      • It would be helpful if when submitting your new post, you link back to what you reviewed previously 
      • I will be checking that comments are constructive and helpful to the original poster, if you want honest and helpful feedback, you must be willing to give the same to others. 
    • If you see that another member's work hasn't been reviewed yet, try to choose that over something that's already been reviewed. 
  • You may only submit one chapter, one shot or art-piece per fortnight. If you are working on something multi-chaptered, we recommend submitting chapters in order. 
  • You do not have to submit something every month

I'll leave this post up and I invite people to share how they write a review, and what they find helpful in a review 

• Community Leader

Everyone has their own way they like to review, for me, I tend to approach my reviews like an essay - an intro, discusion (with examples) and then a conclusion.

The intro will generally sum up my overall feelings of the chapter, the discussion section will generally have a sentence or two on something that the writer did well, some examples of what i really liked and then something that the author can improve on or something that didn't quite hit the mark. I like my conclusion to focus on thoughts/hopes for the rest of the work. 

How do you review? What do you find helpful?

I think it would be a good idea for the creator of the work to post what type of reviews they want. We're still in the middle of a pandemic, not everyone's in a good headspace, some are coming back to writing again for the first time in a while. Constructive reviews might not have the desired affect. Some creators are already aware of what's wrong with their writing and having someone point it out will not be helpful in that case. Sometimes they post just to get support.

So it should be up to the creator to say what kind of feedback they're looking for, maybe highlight something that they want the reader to look out for. This will also be helpful for anyone who's reading out of their comfort zone.

Personally, right now, when I review, I just try to say good things because it's fanfic, it's free, none of us are perfect, and none of us have a team of editors behind us. Sometimes writing is just for fun and I don't know how my words could be taken if I were to say anything even vaguely negative. I could say a ton of good things and that one negative thing will be what that person will focus on. So I'm trying to be very positive with my reviews. And if there's a fanfic where I cannot say anything positive, that work isn't for me, I'll move on.

• Administrator

OI find it really hard to review a fandom I'm not familiar with because all I can comment on is technical stuff, and in my experience, authors won't listen anyway. I find authors are more interested in the characters and relationships and such and not their grammar and spelling.

For reviews, I try to focus on the positives because we like hearing what we did well. It's what we do as teachers. If you want to say something constructive, you have to use neutral language which can be hard especially online. Some people will take anything that is not positive as negative.

If I want to say something "negative" normally I will point out something that just didn't make sense or something that tends further clarification. Like why did character b do that? I don't understand etc. But yeah.  Gotta be super careful with words. I'm a pretty sarcastic naturally so I tend to read everything in a very sarcastic tone too. Something positive could be read in a negative way.

It's definitely really hard to read a fandom you don't know. Like I won't get the nuances, I won't understand the character motivations or the dynamics, especially in a short piece because I don't know these characters. It would be different if it was an original piece because the writer would have to introduce these characters to me, and they'll treat every reader like someone new to the story. Fanfiction does not and will not. The expectation is that if you read it, you're a fan of the show/characters and that's why you chose this story.

And I'm not going to critique anyone's technical writing because, again, this is a hobby, it's for fun, I didn't pay anything to read a story. Potentially the writer isn't a native speaker or there's some other reason for it. A good story will transcend that anyway. Most great writers that are published have been edited to death by their editing team I've found.

But yeah, I'd also find it hard to go out of my comfort zone with a fandom and I definitely wouldn't want someone to read and review simply because they felt they had to to tick a box. Hopefully there's a happy medium we can get here. I'd be more willing to read an original piece rather than a fandom I didn't know.

• Administrator

All right. So, darkened-storm and myself have been discussing this and we've made some changes.

We know that it's really tough to read something you're not familiar with, so we're thinking:

• Every author who wants to participate in this needs to fill out the following:
    • Author Pen Name 
    • Link to Profile
    • Fandoms you write for
    • Fandoms you will read 
    • What do you expect from reviews

Here's mine!

AUTHOR PEN NAME: AquilaTempestas

FFN LINK: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1112675/AquilaTempestas 

ARCHIVE Link: https://archiveofourown.org/users/AquilaTempestas/pseuds/AquilaTempestas 

FANDOMS I WRITE FOR: Beyblade, Smite, Dark Souls, Supernatural, Pokemon, Merlin, Assassins Creed, Ice Age, Dragon Age,

FANDOMS I WILL READ: Beyblade, Pokemon, Digimon (season 1 and 2), Supernatural, Smite, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Harry Potter, Assassins Creed, The Originals, The Vampire Diaries, Dexter, Ice Age, Dragon Age, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead

WHAT I WANT FROM REVIEWS: Feedback about chararcterization, dialogue and worldbuilding. I'm not fussed about the more technical aspects such as grammar. But I'm more interested in knowing if my characters are protraying some sort of personality - can you see what is happening in my story in your head? Does my work have feeling it? Does the lore make sense? That sorta stuff. 

@Community Leader  @Board Moderator  @Discord Moderator  @Gold Member @Platinum Member  @Silver Member  @Bronze Member

Yeah I find it hard to review a fandom I know nothing about, I feel like a fish out of water.

Anyways here's my stuff.

Author Pen Name: Sakura Alexia

FFN Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/~sakuraalexia

Archive Profile: https://archiveofourown.org/users/SakuraAlexia

Fandoms I write for: Borderlands, Nier Automata, Pokemon, One Piece, Smite, Megaman (Zero/ZX only), Tokyo Mew Mew.

Fandoms I will read: Borderlands, Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, Pokemon, One Piece, Smite, Megaman (Zero/ZX only), Tokyo Mew Mew, Mermaid Melody, Elfen Lied, Inuyasha, Dragon Ball, Dragon Booster, and original stuff. 

What I want from Reviews: Since I am not an english speaker I wouldn't mind some grammar help, but what I like most is try to portray characters well and most importantly to convey emotion well, if something made you laugh or cry, it what I love to hear most. However I am not picky, I accept anything as long as it isn't negative in general.

Author Pen Name: Apollomon X Stingmon

AO3 Profile (written): https://archiveofourown.org/users/leafmon1995/pseuds/Apollomon X Stingmon

Youtube (narrated version): https://www.youtube.com/c/AmalbertGamez/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=2

Fandoms I write for: mostly Digimon (digimon season 1 - 5 and tri) and Rise of the guardians, but have also written stories for pokemon, Marvel, House of Night, Harry Potter, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, Bleach, Winx Club

Fandoms I will read: Anything in Marvel or DC universe, pokemon, ROTG, Digimon, Power Rangers, Bleach, Winx, sword art online, Dragon Ball universe, fantasy, Yu-Gi-Oh (up to 5ds), Naruto, Disney, harry potter, HON, and original works. 

What I want from reviews: I'm not to concerned about spelling grammar, but feel free to mention if you spot something I missed. I'm okay with any type of feedback really just as long as its not nitpicking on every little thing, especially if in regards to a particular religion references. I would love to hear if the characters were relatable or convey enough emotion. Feedback on characterization, dialogue and worldbuilding would be nice, just don't be too negative about. 

Author Pen Name: Wizarmonfan

Archive Profile: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Copperfur/pseuds/Copperfur

Fandoms I write for: Digimon, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Ginga, BNHA, Bleach, Gargoyles, Transformers Prime, Akame ga Kill, DN Angel, Star Wars sequel trilogy, Code Lyoko, Lion King (1994), Re: Creators, original fiction, Biker Mice from Mars, Daily Life with a Monster Girl, NCIS, Black Bullet

Fandoms I will read: All of the above, Dragon Booster, Marvel/DC, fantasy, supernatural

What I want from reviews: Comments about characterization, worldbuilding (since I'm not good at it) and dialogue. My spelling and grammar is quite good, so not as much feedback on that as I am Aussie.

Author Pen Name: BlackGeneralNocturna

FFN Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2704373/BlackGeneralNocturna

Archive Profile: ArchDemonLumiel | Archive of Our Own

Tumblr Blog (original fiction):  https://nocturnalmemories.tumblr.com/ (password: Toris, Ask function can be used to review without an account)

Fandoms I write for: Pokemon, Supernatural, Original Fiction

Fandoms I will read: Pokemon, Supernatural, Digimon (Season 1, Season 5 and generic stuff preferable), Bleach, Original Fiction, Slayers, Tokyo Mew Mew, Harvest Moon/Rune Factory, Harry Potter, Sword Art Online (don't know anything after season 2), Yu-Gi-Oh (anything up to and including 5ds)

What I want from reviews: Mostly stuff regarding characters portrayal and how I show the relationships between characters, I like to know if they're believable. With anything Supernatural or labelled as 'humour' on FFN, whether the jokes hit will be appreciated to know. Regarding original fiction, some more technical stuff is appreciated though characters and plot is most important. 

Author Pen Name: Aikotters

Link to Profile: https://archiveofourown.org/users/aikotters

Fandoms you write for: Digimon, Pokemon, Naruto, Higurashi, WIXOSS, Lyrical Nanoha, Symphogear, Yuki Yuna series, Harry Potter, PMMM, Tower of God, Persona, Kara no Kyoukai, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Undertale,

Fandoms you will readDigimon, Pokemon, Naruto, Higurashi, WIXOSS, Lyrical Nanoha, Symphogear, Yuki Yuna series, Harry Potter, PMMM, Tower of God, Persona, Kara no Kyoukai, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Undertale, Fate series, Code Lyoko, Teen Titans, Wolf Children, Kill la Kill

What do you expect from reviews: Is the thread of the story easy to follow? Do the emotions resonate with you? Are things clear? Is it fun? Things I can cut or clean up? What does and doesn't stick the landing? Any awkward phrasing? that kind of stuff.

Thanks so much in advance! :D

• Community Leader

AUTHOR PEN NAME: Darkened-Storm

FFN LINK: https://www.fanfiction.net/~darkenedstorm

ARCHIVE Link: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Darkenedstorm/pseuds/Darkenedstorm

Social Media: https://darkened-storm.tumblr.com/

FANDOMS I WRITE FOR: Beyblade, Digimon, Zoids, Chronicles of Narnia

FANDOMS I WILL READ: Beyblade, Digimon, Zoids, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, 

WHAT I WANT FROM REVIEWS: I am interested get feedback on engagement, pacing, comedy and overall enjoyment, characterisation of my characters and interactions with the characters from the fandom. How is the description - too little, too much. How is the portrayal of the characters point of view or motives? Am I drawing you in?

• 2 months later...

Author Penname: Tsukuyomi

FFN link: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/12782065/

Archive link: https://archiveofourown.org/users/shinobuwrites/pseuds/shinobuwrites

Tumblr writing side-blog: https://shinobuwrites.tumblr.com/

Fandoms I write: Beyblade, Jujutsu Kaisen, Naruto [as of now I write only for these, especially the first two. I might expand it later].

Fandoms I will read: Any anime fandom would be fine, but preferably Beyblade, Naruto, Jujutsu Kaisen, Fairy Tail, Vinland Saga, Death Note, Welcome to the ballroom, Bleach, One Piece, Kakegurui, Violet Evergarden, Demon slayer, My hero academia, Attack on Titan, The disastrous life of Saiki K.

What I want from reviews: Character developments, plot consistencies, character portrayals, writing skills like vocabulary, grammar, right usage of words, presentation, spacing, plot pacing, etc. Is the plot really intriguing or boring, or neutral? Does it sound logical? Does it seem too forced? Are the dynamics between characters well-built? Its not necessary to check on everything listed here, some would do. I am completely fine with very less criticism, I mean it could be more of a fun reviewing as well.

The fandoms I will read was kind of difficult for me to answer. I read everything (mostly) There are fandoms I shy from but read stories from there because I am reading the author not the fandom.  Most fandoms are negotiable for me.  For example: I read Glee but only certain pairings.  I read Star Wars, but nothing done after Episode three (OG /Prequels)  It would probably be better to post the ones that I won't read.  So, I will put my top twelve from book. movies, tv and games that I keep returning to.

AUTHOR PEN NAME: 

FFN LINK:  Ryker Davis | FanFiction       Ryker Davis | FictionPress

ARCHIVE Link:  Ryker_Davis | Archive of Our Own

FANDOMS I WRITE FOR: Star Wars, Replacement Killers, Glee, Dragon Age, Supernatural, Highlander, 

FANDOMS I WILL READ: Dresden Files, Inheritance Cycle, Mistborn Trilogy, Dragon Age, Assissan's Creed, Mortal Kombat, Star Wars (most), John Wick, Marvel (all), Doctor Who, Star Trek (all), Leverage

WHAT I WANT FROM REVIEWS:  Was the story enjoyable? What was your favorite part? Could you relate? What did you dislike?  Your favorite line.  How you connected or didn't.    The beta stuff is fine. We all need help there but not my main focus for reviews.   I write to tell a story, so I want to know that you enjoyed it or didn't.

• Administrator
On 1/14/2022 at 1:25 PM, RykerDavis said:

The fandoms I will read was kind of difficult for me to answer. I read everything (mostly) There are fandoms I shy from but read stories from there because I am reading the author not the fandom.  Most fandoms are negotiable for me.  For example: I read Glee but only certain pairings.  I read Star Wars, but nothing done after Episode three (OG /Prequels)  It would probably be better to post the ones that I won't read.  So, I will put my top twelve from book. movies, tv and games that I keep returning to.

AUTHOR PEN NAME: 

FFN LINK:  Ryker Davis | FanFiction       Ryker Davis | FictionPress

ARCHIVE Link:  Ryker_Davis | Archive of Our Own

FANDOMS I WRITE FOR: Star Wars, Replacement Killers, Glee, Dragon Age, Supernatural, Highlander, 

FANDOMS I WILL READ: Dresden Files, Inheritance Cycle, Mistborn Trilogy, Dragon Age, Assissan's Creed, Mortal Kombat, Star Wars (most), John Wick, Marvel (all), Doctor Who, Star Trek (all), Leverage

WHAT I WANT FROM REVIEWS:  Was the story enjoyable? What was your favorite part? Could you relate? What did you dislike?  Your favorite line.  How you connected or didn't.    The beta stuff is fine. We all need help there but not my main focus for reviews.   I write to tell a story, so I want to know that you enjoyed it or didn't.

Oh you read Assassin's Creed! Nice! And another Supernatural writer! There's more of us @Nocturna